OT: What the heck do they teach in college??

Page 7 of 7
wrote:

maybe she grew up somewhere else.
well i remember it because the "e" is silent, and that was her way of making us remember to put it on there. and it wasn't plural. she said that not using the "e" was a colloquial (informal) spelling and would not be considered correct in her class. that was the first time i heard that word, as well.
On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 18:41:53 +0000, AllEmailDeletedImmediately wrote:

On another planet? I had lotsa teachers like that. I'm only a couple of years older than you too. ;-)

She wuz wrong. It's amazing how much a bad teacher can screw you up, particularly a trusted one.
--
Keith

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 12:44:24 +0000, AllEmailDeletedImmediately wrote:

I grew up about 25mi south of Paxton and never had a patatoe or tomatoe. I've had lotsa potatoes and tomatoes, though.
--
Kieht

adding "s" or "es." One of my Spanish teachers taught us there is no such thing as a "tamale", that the singular of "tamales" is "tamal."
In a similar vein, "avocado" and "chipotle" are European adaptations of the Nahuatl words "avocatl" and "chipotl" because we seem to have problems ending words with "tl."
Mike

that would be potatoe.

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 18:35:47 +0000, AllEmailDeletedImmediately wrote:

--
Keith

typing has nothing to do with it. the letters are on the keyboard :)

using the computer. Now I know what's wrong with my tyuioping.
Mike

yes. failure to notice the keys you've put your fingers on. of course, if you want to speed things up, take a typing course. :)

new language: "teh" and "hte" translate to the English "the." In an ideal world keyboards would have spell checkers built into them.
Mike Donuts make me smarter. After I've had a couple, I know I shouldn't have. That is obviously *way* more than I knew before.
On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 12:17:02 +0000, AllEmailDeletedImmediately wrote:

They're all there, sure. Often they don't come out in the rihgt sqeuneec thuogh. ;-)
--
Keith

then it's slow way down or take a typing class. although, many people seem to get some speed out of hunt and peck.
communism.

but i bet she feels really good about herself.

I was just kidding.

i know.

College? That calculation should be nailed long before college.