Prius seldom runs on batteries alone?

You are welcome, glad to be able to actually contribute something other than opinion. It is a pretty good read, I just hope it is all correct :-).

What is this Priuschat? Or is the question what _was_ Priuschat? Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

The page you posted is on a website

a lot of interesting stuff. I didn't have much time to investigatebut he/she writes (and supports with a picture): "With summer gasoline in good weather, I have no trouble getting 70 MPG on a country road with light traffic."

I can't wait for summer! Getting > 50 MPG is more fun than driving.

Priuschat.com is a blog site, or whatever you call those things, where you can post questions and answers. It seems to be the best, and one of the most active, although there are others.

I find Yahoo groups to be a giant PITA, so I completely abandoned them, but Yahoo has about a dozen Prius or hybrid "news" groups.

Reply to
Bill Tuthill

I gave up on Yahoo groups quickly as well. I will check out this Priuschat thingy. Thanks. I also agree about the summer thing.... Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Gee, wouldn't a set of Dynamic Braking Resistors in front of the radiator (or a separate cooling fan) work just as effectively and not sit there spinning the engine?

Just dump the excess energy as heat without wearing down the brakes, the motor-generator or the engine - It's worked on Diesel Electric Locomotives for 60+ years...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

If I may ask, what did you find to be the problem? Other than the adverstisements (which also plague most other Prius sites), what was the issue(s)? The Yahoo!Groups are mainly email discussion lists, but you do not have to read/receive/post messages via email but can be a web-only subscriber. Yahoo has changed the email formatting and web message archives lately, so if you're a fan of threaded responses (among other things) you might be happy...

-Michelle, moderator or owner of quite a few Yahoo!Groups...

In general, I recommend (though I'm a moderator on only 2 of those listed):

or the more appropriate usenet newsgroup: alt.autos.toyota.prius

Reply to
mrv

Advertising was only a tiny issue. The big problem for me was the lack of threaded presentation. One nice thing about photo.net, a non-Usenet BB I still read, is that all posts on a given topic are on the same webpage, so you only download once per topic. Even with a broadband Internet link, Yahoo groups are just too slow for me.

Aha, maybe I should check it out again. The problem with subscribing by email is that Yahoo groups were, maybe stilla re, a huge source of spam, so giving my good email address was inadvisable, and my bad email address (ccreekin at Yahoo) is slow and hard to navigate; it is basically unusable during the business day.

From reading the Yahoo descriptions, I could not tell which to read. The last two sound like exactly the same thing. Any hints?

My news service doesn't get that one (yet). Thanks, Michelle!

Reply to
Bill Tuthill

I would suggest either a digest format (probably the New which is easier to reply through, but the "traditional" is now threaded as well), or choose the "no email" subscription option and just read/post through the message archives at the web site. In the message archives, "group by topic" may work for you.

Although the groups I listed are all moderated, that will keep the spam down on the lists, but doesn't keep the spammers from joining... Yahoo doesn't make available the actual email address of a poster or a member on the website, but since it is an email list if you post your address will go out to those subscribed in that fashion... So it is possible that some spammers may join, just to scrape addresses out of the daily digests. A throwaway account or a good spam filter may help here.

toyota-prius (remember the dash!) is the older group of all the ones I listed (including PC and PoL), having migrated over to a Yahoo!Group when Yahoo bought out eGroups. Discussion is open to all models of Prius (since they share many parts in common). These days I'd say that NHW11 and NHW20 traffic is about equal, and the occasional NHW10 traffic is diverted to its own group (Mk1_Prius). (*disclaimer* - I am a moderator on this list, which mainly means approving posts of new members (i.e. weeding out the spam and trolls), banning spammers, and occasionally helping members with membership/subscription problems.)

Prius-2G focuses on the NHW20 model Prius (2004-current model years in the US). When the NHW20 was introduced, a new group was formed to discuss just this new model and its new features... Prius-2G is the moderated version of that new group (that everyone moved to once the new group (2004-prius) lost its only owner/moderator and became over- run with spam).

2007_Prius is a quieter version of Prius-2G. Not as much traffic as Prius-2G, but stays on-topic more often. (2007_Prius renames itself each year when the new model year is out...)

Myself, I subscribe to most Yahoo!Groups on a given topic, but just choose the "No email" option. At least when needed I can go to the message archives and search around... But for the more-populated Prius groups, although I read online, I still get the messages via email so that I can archive them myself for easier searching. (Although the Yahoo!Groups Message search is now vastly improved, it still leaves a lot to be desired...)

I've had spotty news service for quite a while, so I've resorted to using

for all of my news feeds. However,the site changes every so often, and the posting can be a bit clunky. Google is trying to offer email lists similar to the Yahoo!Groups, and lists them right next to the usenet newsgroups... but I haven't found much traffic in the GoogleGroups Prius lists yet.

Reply to
mrv