"S" Mode light stays on without being pushed on

I have a 1990 Honda Accord that runs well only problem being yesterday when I started it up the s mode light came on (usually you have to push to turn it on) and there seems to be a ticking noise. Any Ideas? Okay to drive?

Reply to
lensgirl

lensgirl wrote in news:962898 snipped-for-privacy@autoboardz.com:

Maybe.

The "S" light being on indicates a problem, usually with your transmission.

The AT control unit is under the carpet in the passenger footwell. It's under the slanted part, not the flat part. Peel the carpet back so you can see its red LED (in a round hole in the frame).

You need to find a paper clip. Next you need to find the two-pin Service Check connector, hidden behind the top of the passenger-side plastic kick panel. Open the paper clip, then stuff the paper clip in to short the two pins together. Turn the ignition to "II", then count the blinks from the AT control unit and the engine computer's LED, which is right next to the AT unit.

Report the blinks here. There may be long and short blinks, and there may be more than one code, separated by a two-second pause.

Also take note of the condition of the "S" light during this procedure. Does it blink too? Does it stay on steady? Does it go off?

Any other symptoms? Any shifting problems?

When was the last time you checked the fluid level in the tranny? The last time you had the fluid changed?

Reply to
Tegger

Thanks, I?ll give that a try.

"lensgirl" wrote: > I have a 1990 Honda Accord that runs well only problem being > yesterday when I started it up the s mode light came on > (usually you have to push to turn it on) and there seems to be > a ticking noise. Any Ideas? Okay to drive?

Reply to
lensgirl