Still no Fit

I've been waiting for almost two months. So it goes, or doesn't go.

Reply to
dgk

RickaTTic

You're joking, right? You did read the reviews and remember the comments about the shifter on that Daewoo, no?

Reply to
Body Roll

The reviews actually seemed ok, but it isn't a Fit which is why they're so hard to get. Once you add in the various options to bring it near the Fit Sports level, it isn't really much cheaper. A thousand or two. And I know how reliable Hondas are. Plus I really like the way the seats fold.

If I can't get it I'll just put some money into my 91 Accord and wait another year.

Reply to
dgk

Are you serious?!!

As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. In the case of the Aveo, with the low price comes low quality. It is a Daewoo-built crapbox that gets gas mileage that's on par with my '93 Accord.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

Reply to
RickaTTic

But the Fit is just a retooled Jazz which has been sold in Europe for years. I'm not worried about first year problems with it.

I am seriously thinking about just canceling the order and putting a few thousand into my 91 Accord and keeping it for another two years.

Reply to
dgk

If that 35mpg is highway driving, then yes, that is a joke. My '93 Accord, a heavier car with an automatic, got 33mpg on the last few highway trips I took with it. The Fit, along with the Civic and the Toyota Corolla and Yaris, can get upwards of 40mpg if not more.

You either got a rare lemon, or your dealer was incompetent.

Actually, the Fit has been around for about 5 years in other countries (known as the Jazz in some places) and has proven to be just as reliable as most other Hondas. The Aveo is built by Daewoo, a Korean company who products, unlike Hyundai for example, are not of the high Korean quality you speak of. If you haven't had any problems with your Aveo yet, you can consider yourself lucky for the moment.

I wasn't complaining about the long wait; the only Honda dealer in my area has about 4 of them on the lot. Somebody else was lamenting about it. But like I said above, the Fit (Jazz) has been around longer elsewhere and has been reliable as expected.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

Shoot, my 2000 Accord got 35mpg--in the middle of summer, on the freeway through mountainous terrain (US 68 through WV/MD).

Buy a 4 cylinder, manual transmission Accord and get Fit-type mileage with a nicer car.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I don't think I can get an Accord anywhere near the price of the Fit, but the manual transmission is a killer. I love them, in fact my Accord is the first car I ever got with AT, but neither my Significant Other, nor any of my friends, can drive MT and that's a problem.

About seven years ago I broke an ankle at a convention and only one girl out of fifty something people could drive my car. That's why I got the Accord with AT. Besides that, almost all my driving is in New York City and MT is a pain in that kind of driving.

Reply to
dgk

I see a Versa SL with CVT in your future...

Reply to
Body Roll

Well checkout the new message on this board regarding a 1998 Accord with a blown engine head gasket. Overheated Engine 98 Accord..I think dated today the 17th... Please don't tell me the Honda's are that great. A blown head gasket at such low mileage and of course out of warrantee is something that Honda's seem to do a lot. You might want to think about the Chevy Aveo instead of the FIT. Just a suggestion... Rick

Reply to
RickaTTic

Compared to Aveo and other Daewoo-built cars, they ARE great. Why is it that Honda has a proven reputation for reliability and Daewoo and GM don't?

Um, no, not a lot. In most cases, it happens when they are old; this particular car is almost 9 years old. Also, head gasket failure is likely to occur on any car by any manufacturer when it gets old (although the Neon and Cavalier/Sunfire were known for early head gasket failure).

Moreover, the problem with this '98 Accord has NOT been officially determined to be the head gasket yet.

No thanks. Like I said, you've been lucky with your Aveo so far. No car is going to be 100% problem-free, but Hondas have been proven to last much longer and go much further before the problems start to mount than most other makes--especially proven ultra-junk like Daewoo (who made your Aveo). And like I said earlier, the Fit has been around for years in other countries and has proven to be very reliable.

And here's a suggestion: Shut up and haul your trolling ass out of here.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

You can add that it is the driver's responsibility to maintain and monitor his vehicle. All cars approaching ten years of age are subject to hose failures and radiator plugging, both of which can quickly lead to head gasket failure. I would venture the opinion that is exactly what happened. Thermostat failure is also a possibility but is infrequent as well.

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

You had some credibility till I read your last comment.

Reply to
RickaTTic

Excuse me? You presented misinformation about head gasket failures while being ignorant to the fact that the Fit was around for quite a while before arriving in North America. Don't go saying that I lost credibility when you are the one who doesn't know the facts.

You lost all credibility anyway when you recommended the Aveo over the Fit.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

No facts...sure. Whatever..You are so smart you don't have to listen or learn.

Reply to
RickaTTic

For the most part, what you have presented are not facts. Those are reviews, also known as opinions. The complaints about gas mileage are likely the result of the cars not being broken in yet, questionable driving habits, or a combination of both. After the break-in period and with good driving habits, Fit should get gas mileage that will easily blow away the Aveo's mileage.

As for the reliability, that's just a few out of many. I don't understand why the Fit would have tranny issues when it has been around for 5 years elsewhere with a good reliability record. But I would expect Honda to remedy these alleged problems if they become more widespread, which is a lot more than one can say for Chevy or any other domestic brand. Like I said before, you have been lucky with your Aveo so far. Over the long term (5+ years and higher miles), the Fit should prove to be more reliable.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

UK version of the Fit (Jazz) is the most reliable car you can buy (UK Consumers Association).

Skippy

Reply to
Skippy