Symptoms of worn rear stabilizer link?

Hello all,
2003 Accord EX 4-cyl coupe: There's a slight clunk, sort of a creak- ish clunk in the rear suspension, driver's side, that doesn't happen
consistently. It can't be reliably reproduced by pushing down on the suspension, or accelerating or decelerating suddenly, or swerving. The clunk seems to lag behind those sudden maneuvers - maybe one clunk, maybe a quick 2-3 clunks. When I jacked up the car, the stabilizer link seemed a little loose. I could work it back and forth and make metal hit metal inside. Before I go replace them, two questions:
Does this sound like a correct diagnosis? Any tricks or warnings when replacing those? Looks easy.
Okay, three questions, third one maybe dumb: is alignment affected (I'm guessing not).
Thanks, Theo

Are these the "dumbbell" type, with balljoints at either end?
--
Tegger

In response to Tegger, yes these are the dumbbell type with the two ball joints on each end. I'll check the Haynes manual, but is there anything nasty about separating those and putting the new ones on?
The more I think about the symptoms, the more the clunk seems like it could be happening during very gentle sway as opposed to during harsher motion. While actually turning, the loose part of the joint would take a definite set against one side of the backlash or the other, but after coming out of the turn it could clunk at low frequency. Still, a second opinion on what one of you experienced as your stabilizer links were about to fail would be appreciated.
Theo

Not really. Some of these have Allen-key holes in them to hold them still as you unbolt them. And you might need to push-and-pull a bit to get the new ones to "bite".

Clunking noises. Sometimes the noise is more of a "doddle-doddle" (sorry) on uneven pavement.
Undo the links, then drive around in the situations where the noise occurs. You may notice more body lean than you're used to, but it's quite safe. If the noise is gone, then that's the problem.
--
Tegger

Hello Tegger,

right word for two weeks. I feel like Billy Crystal at the end of "Throw Mamma From the Train".

Theo