Throttle Surge

1994 Honda Civic, 1.5L, 210,000 miles. Engine light came on recently. Car would stall or idle at 200 rpm and surge at 1500-1700 rpm. I have added fuel injector cleaner to gas and removed air cleaner and cleaned intake and throttle plate with cleaner. This fixed the idle problem but still have engine surge at 1500-1700 rpm. What sensor should I be looking at replacing or how should I proceed from here?
Reply to
tech

===============================

Low coolant will cause throttle surge. Try filling the reservoir to MAX and see if the level drops next time it's cool. If so, fill to MAX again until its stable. No tap water.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

and don't just check the bottle - check the radiator directly. if there's a leak or too much air, the bottle doesn't suck back correctly and can be full, even when the radiator's empty. only open when cool.

Reply to
jim beam

snipped-for-privacy@bucksportschools.com wrote in news:1165776381.939156.185730@

80g2000cwy.googlegroups.com:

Get the error code. It's still in memory even if the light's off now.

page 15. The "tool" is a bent paper clip. Fluctuating idle is often due to a big air leak. First check your coolant as suggested by Curly and jim beam. If the fluctuation is still there, you need to check for suction at the lower port in the throttle body, immediately ahead of the throttle plate (engine full warm). If there IS suction, the Fast Idle Valve is stuck open.

Reply to
Tegger

Have you had the intake manifold off the engine? If so you may have not sealed the gasket well allowing an air leak. That happened to my

90 prelude. I replaced the gasket and gooped it this time and it solved the problem. Other possibility is vacume line leaks. Good luck.
Reply to
san luis

What was the code??? A P0505 idle control malfunction? It's likely a bad IAC valve. Chip

Reply to
chip