Time for gasolin summer mix yet?

Page 3 of 4
On 4/19/2011 1:00 PM, GrumpyOne wrote:

Yup. Proximity is everything when shipping a commodity. Saudi Arabia is a long ways from the USA.
Lynn
On 4/19/2011 2:00 PM, GrumpyOne wrote:

> supplying the US with oil...
It probably was at one time, but it does not currently appear to be http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/petroleum/data_publications/company_level_imports/current/import.html
Venezuala and Nigeria seem to be swapping 4th place after Saudi Arabia.
On 04/14/11 14:35, Tegger wrote:

Doesn't the cash flow from the lobbyists *to* the politicians? The lobbyists profit (handsomely) when they get the legislation they want and get back $1,000 for every $1 spent on politicians.
Maybe this crap is done differently in Canada?
Tony
On 04/14/2011 10:44 PM, Tony Harding wrote:

1000:1? nah, the r.o.i. is better than that:
<http://www.manufacturing.net/Saving-The-Penny.aspx?menuid (0>
there's no business investment comparable to the return on the lobbying dollar. nothing even close.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum

On 04/15/11 09:32, jim beam wrote:

Agreed, I was just pulling numbers from the air.

That's how the politicians are swayed to bend their powers towards the lobbyists, and how the lobbyists make their living.
The point is that politicians /have/ that power to funnel money one way or another. That's the power you need to take away from them. No garbage, no flies.

Sure do. check out GE, ADM, ConAgra,and a host of other firms. They've got it down to a science.

Nope. Exactly the same.
--
Tegger

On 04/15/11 17:50, Tegger wrote:

Right, and a handsome living it is, too!

How do we (voters) take that power away from them (politicians)?
Isn't this point the very essence of politics, i.e., deciding where to expend public funds? If they didn't make the call, who would?

Well, I was joking about that.
Thanks for your reply.
On 04/15/2011 11:17 PM, Tony Harding wrote:

well, i have an idea. it's crazytalk, but let's face it - the system we have now isn't working. not for any but a small cabale at any rate.
Increase their pay. increase their pay a lot - to something like $5MM to $10MM a year.
here's the rationale: politicians are in it for the money. plain and simple. but paying someone with a reasonable social skill set, who is dedicated, hard working, and above all ambitious, what we do now, something in the range of only $150k??? there are some supermarket managers earning more than that. no, politicians could get other jobs earning /WAY/ more if they wanted.
so why do they go into politics? for the money! the opportunity to earn money outside their pay, is colossal. that's where the lobbying dollar comes in. and the fact that you can't support two houses, pay for parties and social functions, taxis, travel, restaurants and the d.c. and home state social whirls on that money. absolutely no way. so they /have/ to take the lobbying dollar. and once they take it, they're owned.
if "we the people" pay these people enough, two things will happen:
1. i think it will attract a much better class of politician. people that can earn millions running an organization could now earn millions doing something with bigger picture impact. i think it will attract a much better and more effective class of applicant.
2. given that politicians have proven themselves to be highly responsive to whoever pays them, if /we/ pay them, they'll respond to us. the dollars they're responding to right now aren't coming from us - and that is the #1 problem.
anyway, crazytalk.
your turn.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum

what's "MM"? do you mean million? one "M" suffices for that.

that was said about teachers,that paying them more would mean kids would be taught better. didn't happen.
Better that we have TERM LIMITS and end the "career" and retirement benefits of Congress. No more "career" politicians. Serve a term,then back to a real non-government job,for at least 10 years. If they don't get established and esconced in power,perks and prestige(and above the law that the rest of us have to live under),they don't get corrupted.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

no, "M" means thousand. "MM" means million.

Kilo,abbreviated as "K",is generally used for thousand,and "M"(Mega) is used for million. "G"(Giga) is used for billion.
What country are you from? I'm in the US.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On 04/17/2011 10:07 AM, Jim Yanik wrote:

that's engineering. unfortunately the financial world has it's own rules [sic] and M is thousand, MM is million, etc.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

I'm in the US too, but financial documents and statements use M and MM. Not K.
On 04/17/2011 02:06 PM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

nomina rutrum rutrum

A math instructor would think that "M" and "MM" are "fairly recent". He has a math-centric view of the world, and has never worked in the financial world where M and MM have always been thousand and million.
On 04/18/2011 04:10 AM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

well, i am of the opinion that the financial world should stop playing by their own rules, something fundamentally problematic as we've been seeing lately, and get with the engineering program.
but i don't see that happening. finance people seem to regard percentages and maybe a little retard-grade stats as "challenging" - something that simply fails to garner either the respect or interest of anyone with an engineering/scientific math background sufficient to try to do anything about it.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

Every profession has and uses its own language--partially for convenience, partially to exclude outsiders.

Money is not at all why people go into politics. There's something a lot more potent than money, and which IS the real reason people get into politics.
--
Tegger

Tegger wrote:

Power and control not to mention inflated ego(s).
I really do not know of any bad situation that was remedied by simply pouring money on it...
JT

Bingo. It's all about power, getting it and keeping it, for as long as possible. Money is very much secondary to power.
My personal experience is that those who run for political office tend to be nosy, meddlesome, egotistical, exhibitionist busybodies; they love to be able to tell other people how to live their lives. Ordering people around is ultimately what drives them, not money.
Next time you have one of those "saving the world" type conversations with somebody, listen carefully. You will find that just about everybody has an idea of how to make a better world, and it /always/ involves some sort of control over others ("I'd force them to..."). Those who go into politics are no different from the average, except that they put into action what others simply talk about.

Power and control bring their own money.
Lobbyists' cash does not go to the politicians, but to their campaigns or their party; politicians legally can't even accept gifts, or free airplane travel. But once in power, politicians can easily vote themselves their jackpot out of tax funds, which they do, in abundance.
--
Tegger