TSX audio problems

I have a Canadian '06 TSX and I'm having trouble with the cd player. Is it possible to replace the one I've got with an after market sound system?

That would be a terribly DUMB idea, considering your car is still very much under warranty.
Ravage the factory electrical setup and you may void your warranty entirely.
Did you know that part of the purchase price of your car included that warranty? Use it.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

I notice that older TSX's had to recall their audio system and they get a black mark in the Consumers Reports repair incident guide
Mine went defective and after a few weeks of silence, Acura replaced it with a rebuild one. I'm now having intermittent problems with it.
There are a few things I don't like about it anyway. It's a six disc changer and it doesn't let me use cdrs with labels. Also, I don't think it sounds all that good. I wouldn't mind paying to get a better, easier to use, sound system.

Yeah, but...
Let the dealer and Honda muck about with it FIRST (and pay for it themselves). Let the warranty run out, THEN do your own butchering.
Suppose when you get the audio unit changed, you (or your appointed slaughterhouse men) manage to make the famous "magic smoke" appear. Who's gonna pay for fixing that damage?
You. That's who.
Better that happen _after_ any hope of renumeration has vanished, and not before.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

I see your point. I've not spent any time in these Honda newsgroups - is there really a magic smoke?

Oh, yes.
Many people think electricity is made up of particles or waves. They are quite wrong. Electricity is actually made of smoke.
You can see this yourself quite easily. All you have to do is touch together two wires the wrong way, or touch one wire in the wrong place, and suddenly magic smoke will burst out! And once this smoke has escaped, you will find nothing will work. Nothing works because the smoke is gone.
To fix things, you have to find a way of getting the smoke back where it came from, and this is exceedingly difficult, since the smoke has dissipated.
I have found that the best way of getting the smoke back inside is to visit your local shaman or medicine man. These men know the necessary spells that will cause the electricity gods to put the smoke back where it should be. These men are known as "your local Honda dealer", or "your local car audio installers".
Good luck.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Tegger wrote:

I always referred to it as, "the dreaded smoke genie," disrupter of electrical services far 'n wide...
JT

I love this Tegger. Thanks for the chuckle this morning.
Brian
On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 23:19:14 +0000, really real wrote:

Well, Tegger's right, but I would only put up with it for so long.
I usually replace all my sound systems within 90 days of buying a car, no matter how new! The only one I haven't is my Scion tC, because it sounds really good. But I have the harness all set to go!
Which brings us to the next point. Is there a Wal*Mart around you? Have they invaded Canada yet?
Here in the US, for $7, they sell a harness that will interface an Aftermarket unit to your car's wiring harness. The part you connect is color-coded wiht the Industry Standard color code, so you match purple to pruple, red to red, green to green, etc. Then, you plug the adapther harness into your car's harness and off you go! It used to take me almost an all afternoon in the 'old days' figuring out which wires went to which speakers, etc, but no more! Unless someone's hacked the harness already, then it's about a 45 minute project now!
And, since people WANT to see the factory unit when you trade it in, you can take out your aftermarket unit and the harness, and reinstall the factory unit,again in about 20 minutes.
Scosche makes harnesses for these, and are available at Wal*Mart here, I can't remember where there...a good stereo store, or maybe even Canadian Tire? Or, order from Crutchfield.

Oh yes, Walmart is in Canada. However, we have kept them from the gates of Vancouver. I have to go to a suburb to get Walmarted
Thank's for the advice about the harness. I'm sure I can find one. I'm actually more worried about finding an audio system that can fit where the TSX's goes.There's a big space for the audio system and all these buttons on each side. Would I need a replacement designed for a TSX?

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 04:57:09 +0000, really real wrote:

It's probably a Double Din size. Replacement stereos are DIN sized, but there are some DDs on the market. They aren't cheap. You can also get a face from Scosche or Metra that will provide a single DIN openeing with some kind of storage pocket.
Are there any other functions in the sound system? Climate control, GPS or anything else displayed on the sound system's screen?
A link to a pic of it would be helpful!
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

The problem isn't so much the harness as it is the face. The new Hondas and Acuras have stereos that are basically a part of the dash. To replace them, you have to get a dash kit to replace the center portion if the dash.
The stereo in the Si is fantastic, so I won't bother, but I can see how it would be a problem on the standard stereos...
On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 03:26:32 -0400, Joe LaVigne wrote:

Yeah. My syepfather's cousin has a 2003 Accord V6, and the climate control is integrated into the audio face. I can't even begin to think about how to replace that.
It does sound decent, and a speaker upgrade would probably sound good. I replaced the stock speakers in my tC with Quarts about 3 weeks after I got it, and still haven't seriously thought about replacing the head unit.

You wouldn't on an Acura TL.
Or a Lexus of any kind...

I've heard the sound system on the TL and it sounded quite fantastic. I wish, however, that instead of dvd-audio the TL could play SACD or even regular dvds