TSX audio problems

I have a Canadian '06 TSX and I'm having trouble with the cd player. Is it possible to replace the one I've got with an after market sound system?

Reply to
really real

really real wrote in news:GfUTh.68859$DE1.51968@pd7urf2no:

My goodness, you're a busy one.

See my reply to this identical message in alt.autos.honda.

How many other groups did you independently post this to?

Reply to
Tegger

I have no idea how the Honda and Acura groups work these days, so I posted everywhere.

Reply to
really real

really real wrote in news:5TUTh.69078$6m4.19422 @pd7urf1no:

You sure did. And improperly, at that.

You should learn to cross-post. That's how you post "everywhere".

Reply to
Tegger

So, what would the difference have been with a cross post? Wouldn't it still have appeared on all the lists?

Reply to
really real

really real wrote in news:q5WTh.69317$6m4.31812 @pd7urf1no:

Yes, but any *replies* would have been limited to the single particular group you posted to, and that group only. None of the other groups would have known of, or benefited from, any replies to any other groups.

Had you cross-posted properly, all the replies would have shown up in all groups you posted to all at the same time, meaning everybody everywhere would have been equally educated, and there would have been no duplication.

Reply to
Tegger

Ah, that's an important difference. Is it hard to figure out how to cross post?

Reply to
really real

really real wrote in news:CbZTh.70651$aG1.29637@pd7urf3no:

Nope.

In the little bar that shows the group you're posting to, you have to add other groups manually. Their names should be separated by commas, but no spaces.

Reply to
Tegger

what is the problem ??? You're still covered by warranty, why not take it to dealer ?

Reply to
firewolf

It took almost a month for the dealer to fix the cd player by replacing it with a rebuilt one. This one is developing intermittent problems, but the dealer won't fix it until it stops working for him, and then, I'd wait another month.

I don't much like the cd player anyway and suspect I could get better sound with a different one.

Reply to
really real

really real wrote in news:XWxUh.81245$aG1.25914@pd7urf3no:

Honda has been having many problems with their audio units.

Honda also requires that dealers submit the warranty claim, AND wait for confirmation, before performing the repair. This means lots of time goes by before they are authorized to perform the repair.

Probably, but intrusion into the factory wiring setup is a recipe for disaster, especially these days.

If you do decide to go aftermarket, have a _qualified_ professional shop do the work, and insist they use an "aftermarket harness" so the factory wiring is not altered.

Reply to
Tegger

nah, the bastards just waited until they had a rebuilt cd player they could give me.

Reply to
really real

really real wrote in news:ubMUh.83237$6m4.28338@pd7urf1no:

Failed units are replaced with rebuilts. That is Honda policy on this issue. Failed audio units are sent to a Honda-authorized repair center, remanufactured, then reissued.

If the dealer does not wait until they get warranty clearance from Honda, they may have to eat the cost of replacing your radio. It makes no sense for them to replace your audio unit until they get approval.

Reply to
Tegger

The dealer promised me a new unit, seeing as the car was only a few months old. Then, he stalled and stalled for about a month. Honda Canada was embarrassed when I complained and gave me some free service for compensation. But having the newly rebuilt one start to screw up really has me annoyed.

Reply to
really real

really real wrote in news:5ySUh.83933$DE1.31198@pd7urf2no:

He can't do that; Honda won't give him one. You probably got that promise from a new Service Advisor who didn't know any better and didn't think to ask. Or maybe one who was sick of you bending his ear with complaints and just said something nice to make you go away.

Like I said, they've been having lots of trouble with their audio units. Lots of TSBs on them.

But audio units are not like, say, transmissions, and will not receive the same sort of corporate expenditure Honda is willing to lay out on trannies.

Dealers have a hard row to hoe sometimes. Financially, dealers are usually at Honda's mercy. Plus they have no say in what they must buy from Honda, but they still have to sell and service what Honda sells to them, no matter how inadequate or defective.

Keep bringin' it back as long as your warranty is in effect; make them work for their money. Eventually you'll get a radio that keeps working. I know this is a pain, but at least it's not a "stranded vehicle" problem, like you might get with, say, Ford...

Reply to
Tegger

I can understand that. Another problem is a lot of people don't care about music that much in their cars, so the service people don't realize what a hardship it is for someone like me to be stuck listening to the radio for a month instead of being able to play my own music, either through my cds or my iPod.

I'd be happy to relieve Honda of the problem by buying a better audio unit, if I could find one that actually fit into a TSX. With so many audio problems, one would think Honda fans would know about good audio replacements, but I guess the TSX isn't exactly the car that enthusiastic music fans usually buy.

Reply to
really real

I would call Crutchfield and see what they have to say:

John Horner

Thanks for the tip. It looks like a great site. They should have an answer for me tomorrow

Reply to
really real

Such as?

My second Accord (excuse me for intruding in the Acura group!) in a row, it seems the audio loses volume with age, or something. And isn't that well designed in the first place to be heard over wind noise. I complained to the dealer on the previous one, they just shrugged and said it seemed fine to them.

Good to know, thanks.

Though I just lease the things, so doing mods esp when still under warranty, seems contraindicated. But I've sure seen and heard some zippy aftermarket units in other people's cars!

J.

Reply to
JXStern

Tegger wrote in news:Xns9913C348BB90Dtegger@207.14.116.130:

Poor radio reception is the number one thing I see.

Reply to
Nobody