WIERD STARTING PROBLEM

So this problem seems bizarre to me, but occassionally, I go out to start my car and it tries to turn over however it won't start. I can try it several times and nothing. However, typically if I wait about 20-30
minutes and go back and try again, it works just fine.
In addition, after I have this problem, if I only drive a short distance, turn it off, and then try to start again, I have to give it another 20 minutes. But if I drive a longer distance the problem doesn't resurface.
I seem to have better luck with I put premium gas in it. But whenever it does start, it drives just fine.
Other than that, its completely random and unpredictable. What could this be??
lpetty wrote:

is this a honda? what model, trim level, year, etc.?
if it /is/ a honda, ~'86 onwards, it's main relay. tegger.com for details.
lpetty wrote:

"Tries to turn over" is a bit vague... do you mean it cranks but doesn't catch, or does it actually have trouble cranking? If the latter, I'd suspect the battery is near the end of its life and not holding much of a charge. If the former, Jim is right, it's probably the main relay.

http://tegger.com/hondafaq/startproblems.html#mainrelay
Mike