2006 Sonata GLS v6 Initial Quality Feedback

Page 3 of 3

My Silverado is a '94 with a 350. Has a fiberglass cap on it also. High-rise style.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

Same here. I suspect the difference between my mileage and yours is the V-8 vs. the V-6.
Matt

Mine's an '88 305 V8 with a 3sp AT. I'm lucky if I get 11 MPG. I don't drive it much anymore. No more than about 3,000 miles a year. It has just under 180,000 miles on it. No cap either.
Eric
Eric G. wrote:

You better get it fixed as you'd have to work really hard to get 11 MPG from a properly tuned 305 - unless your 3,000 miles are spent plowing snow or pulling stumps! :-)
Matt

I don't know what else to fix! The engine is tuned like a champ. The tranny and rest of the drivetrain are all in great shape. I have some of the normal rust on the bottom of the doors. Maybe the extra drag is killing me? :-)
Any ideas?
Eric
Eric G. wrote:

What sort of driving do you do? The only time my truck dropped to 11 MPG was when the temperature sensor failed and the ECM was running open loop all of the time. The truck had great power, but it coated the inside of the exhaust pipe with a thick layer of carbon so I know something was up. Another common mileage killer as a bad oxygen sensor. If you haven't replaced either of these, I'd suggest a visit to your local dealer and have them check things with their scan tool. My temperature sensor failure didn't illuminate the MIL light, but it was detected immediately with their scan tool.
Matt

Pretty much all city driving, and I am always hauling something. Whether moving relatives, carrying home a load of mulch or stone, or transporting an ATV, I almost always have at least a few hundred pounds back there.
I just replaced the coolant and temperature sensors about 2000 miles ago. And I had the truck on the scanner at the local Chevy delaer then. All checked out fine except for the coolant sensor.
From what I have read, this mileage is not that uncommon for an '88 305. It was the first year they switched from a real carb, to some pseudo- fuel injection system. In fact, 13-14 is very common, and considering I haul a lot, that may account for the difference. I also have very old gas in there, but I do use fuel stabilizer which helps I guess.
I probably need to take her out on the highway for a while and should do that one of these days.
Eric

Even a moderate load of 600-800 pounds can really kill your mileage. Especially in town!
--
Bob

the
15,
When
just
I'll second that Eric. I've never been a fan of the 305, but it sure should get better than that. 11 is a real ouch.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
The car looks fantastic, makes my 98 Sonata look like a Yugo :) BUT, my personal opinion on ANY new car model, is to wait for their second (or third) year of production, this way they've ironed out "most" of the bugs.. I've learned from the past...just my 2 cents.

I have 2.4k miles on my 2006 LX. Everything works as designed but the design is showing some weakness. The steering wheel audio controls cant change the radio station (only volume and cd/am/fm); the leather seats are uncomfortable. Gas mileage - i can get 33/34 mpg on the highway going straight 55 mph with no traffic..but my commute (11 miles in 25 minutes through a few towns) is hitting about 18 mpg. The trip computer is simplistic - no a/b trip stuff, no "instantaneous" readings.
But all the trim fits, no wind noise, little engine noise, the automatic lights come off and on as expected.
But the seats..those are gonna kill me lol
I have bought a new GLS V6 in December. Driven less than 2000 miles so far.
I used to drive 1996 Camry before.
I am very happy with the new Sonata. Yet to find a problem with it.
Only disappointment is that it gives me about 20 mpg and I drive mostly in the city with lots of traffic lights. I have noticed that mileage is much better on highway, but I haven't recorded any numbers.
I can't compare the mileage with my old Camry because that was 4-cylinder with much less power.
Good luck with your decision.