2006 Sonata idler pulley

So, for the second time in a year I will be bringing my Sonata (2006 V6 AT) back to the dealer for a new idler pulley.
Is this a common problem? Anyone else experience it? I get this whine
that just gets worse and worse until I can't take it any more. It's worse than the wife.
Eric

If the wife is under warranty, replace her too.
2 Elantras and 3 V6 Sonatas in the family over the last 10 years. Only time tensioner has been replaced on any of them has been when timing belt has been replaced. Sounds like something is installed wrong and belt isnt square to tensioner.
wrote in message

She is under warranty, but unfortunately it is pro-rated. Not worth it at this point.
Eric
Eric G. wrote:

No problems with my 06, but then mine has the 4-banger and I think yours had the V-6, right? I doubt the idlers are the same, but I don't know...

Common issue on the 3.3L and 3.8L engines. Never seen a car need a second replacement, though. And not common enough to suspect every car would need one.
Probably just got a bad one as a replacement. Not sure if there's been a vendor change or redesign. Failure rate may even fall below the threshhold for Hyundai to recognize there's a problem.

Thanks HT. I have a sneaky suspision that they didn't actually replace it the first time. I spent a good part of the day there this time WATCHING. I made them a deal...save the loaner car and let me watch. They accepted. Sounds great now...we'll see about the future.
Eric