2014 Elentra GT rear spoiler expands and bulges upwards and catches on roof when left in the sun

I have a 2014 Elantra GT hatchback I got in early 2015. It's the dark blue color. When it's been setting in the sun on a hot day, the plastic spoiler on the top of the back hatch expands and bulges up slightly in
the middle (maybe a quarter inch?). It's just enough to catch on the edge of the roof as I open the hatch. The first time it happened, it was a loud snap as I opened the hatch (I thought something broke). When it cools down, the plastic goes back to it's normal level
The paint on the edge of the plastic is rubbed off and there's a line where the roof of the car hits the bulged up area.
Hoping it was a known issue, my wife took it to the dealer last Wednesday, but I'm not sure they understood the issue. They didn't really mention anything about it catching on the roof and just said they hadn't heard of this before and that the paint damage was "cosmetic".
This summer is the first time I noticed it, so either I just got lucky last year, or something has shifted. I tried loosening the nuts that hold on the spoiler and shifting it slightly, but there really wasn't any shifting possible.
The dealer said they would look into it, but I'm not real hopefull..
Anyone else heard of this? Any suggestions?
Mike O.

Sorry, can't really help you. No matter what, the dealer should take care of it...don't let them off the hook. I'd suggest you get a picture of it when it is actually doing it. Hopefully they won't try to say you did something by fooling with the spioiler nuts yourself. I also own a 2014 Elantra GT, I love it. Now I'll make sure to keep an eye on the spoiler in the sun....thanks for the info...and good luck.
On 6/27/2016 10:28 AM, jtees4 wrote:

I had a picture printed out that my wife took in with her. It shows it very clearly. I don't know if the person she talked to just didn't understand, or if they just didn't listen. If I don't hear anything back, I'll go back and talk to someone higher up the chain.
I had done some searching on the net and hadn't found anything. I was thinking someone else had to have run into this before..

I'm curious...are you in a very hot area? Arizona, texas, etc? I am in Long island NY, and the truth is it has not gotten very hot here yet at all. And last summer was not super hot either.
On 6/28/2016 2:32 PM, jtees4 wrote:

Columbus, OH. It's not just the air temp (although we have hit low 90's some over the last few weeks), I think it's in combination with the bright sun. The car is dark blue, and on the clear days when it sets outside, it just soaks up the sun.

On Sunday, June 26, 2016 at 10:57:59 AM UTC-10, Mike O wrote:

I don't know how the part is attached but it could be as simple as loosening the bolts when the spoiler is hot to relieve the tension and then tightening them back up.
If that doesn't work you could just grind off that part of the spoiler that scrapes the roof. Good luck!
On 6/27/2016 5:23 PM, dsi1 wrote:

. spoiler that scrapes the roof. Good luck!

I already tried loosening the nuts while it was causing the issue, but there's very little "slack", even with them loose. I thought it did shift a little, but the next day it did it again. Probably when it cools down and contracts it move it back.
As far as grinding off anything, I'm not going to go that route. This is on a lease; I'm not sure if we'll be keeping it or not, so I definitely don't want to do anything that will come back to bite me when I turn it in.
On Monday, June 27, 2016 at 1:57:42 PM UTC-10, Mike O wrote:

ic

en

ey

ening the

g them back up.

n.
If it is a lease, that's understandable. I'd just have them sign a release saying that they have been made aware of the problem and will not hold you responsible for any problems/damages that occur. That would either get thei r attention or you won't have to worry about this problem.
On 6/26/2016 4:58 PM, Mike O wrote:

My wife got a voice mail from the dealer on her cell phone this evening. They said they have found some information on this and want us to schedule a service appointment. I'll post back when I get more info, maybe it will help someone else with the same issue..

Yes, please do let us know how it turn out.
On 6/26/2016 4:58 PM, Mike O wrote:

Apparently I shouldn't have been so negative. I talked to the dealer service dept today. He said that according to Hyundai it is a known issue and he's ordered the replacement spoiler. Sometime in the next week or so when it comes in, I'll drop the car off for them to replace it. Hopefully there's something different so that this doesn't come back. I'll post if when I get more info.

Great news! My faith in Hyundai is restored. I am on my fifth one starting with a 2003....and never had a problem.
On 6/30/2016 11:17 PM, Mike O wrote:

(text snipped)

Got the car back today. It looks perfect. They replaced the spoiler (painted to match the rest of the car), and repaired the slight dent it had put in the roof.
The tech said the spoiler is basically the same part, but where the original one was just attached with bolts about halfway to the ends and at the ends (nothing in the middle section), the replacement came with glue and specific instructions on where to have the middle section glued down in several locations.
Hopefully this will take care of it.
On 7/13/2016 11:30 PM, Mike O wrote:

That's good news.

Glad it was taken care of, and good job by Hyundai!
On 6/26/2016 4:58 PM, Mike O wrote:

On 6/26/2016 4:58 PM, Mike O wrote: Update on the rear spoiler:
We've had several 90+ degree days with lots of sun and the car parked outside. The spoiler has been perfect, not a hint of bulge.

Thanks for the update. I have to wonder if some designer is out of a job.