Rear Spoiler Question...87 Mustang GT

I recently purchased an 87 Mustang GT 5.0 The seller was the original owner. He stated that several years ago his hatchback had a rust issue. In fact he said a hole rusted thru it on the lower corner. He found an 87 Mustang LX hatchback of same factory color in like new condition and replaced his hatchback. A direct "bolt on" replacement. He saved his GT spoiler from the rusted hatchback. I now have this GT spoiler. It looks as if it would be able to directly replace this LX spoiler. Does anyone know if the LX spoiler can simply be replaced by the GT spoiler? I would like it back on the car. Any advice appreciated.

Reply to
RickyD

Around 7/12/2003 10:04 AM, RickyD spake thusly:

It'll physically fit the hatch, and I'm fairly sure the bolt holes will be the same, so it's just a matter of unbolting and swapping.

I'm not much of a spoiler person, but I thought the LX and GT spoilers were the same, and only the SVO and Cobra were different... What's the difference between your LX spoiler and the GT replacement? Got pics?

Reply to
Garth Almgren

The LX and GT spoilers are different in that the LX spoiler basically is one large piece that lays across the entire back of the deck. There is no air gap in the middle under the spoiler, it is a full spoiler. Much like the pre-87 GTs.

In '87, with the redesign of the GT, they raised the spoiler up off of the deck, only mounting to the deck on the outsides of the hatch. The third brakelight lives in the middle of the raised-up section.

If I remember correctly, the LX spoilers do mount in the middle of the deck as well, there should be a nut or two on the underside of the hatch where the spoiler is held on. This is why I never put the GT spoiler that I got for free onto my '85 GT - there would have been a couple of open holes. I could deal with the white spoiler on the brick-red car, but I didn't want holes in the body. Unless whoever installed the LX spoiler on your car cut the mounting studs flush with the hatch, I suppose..

JS

Reply to
JS

Not a problem. Personally I think the back of the hatches look a little plain without something there. I do prefer the spolier.

However, I had an '84 4-cylinder hatch once with nothing on the back. A

2.25" single pipe out the back... and it kinda looked like the back sat up a little as if it had big meats under it. I like the looks of the '83-86 taillight lenses, and that car just looked plain mean from the back. If it just had the other tailpipe and 4 cylinders to go with it, I might still have it.

JS

Reply to
JS

There will be several more holes in the hatchback from the LX spoiler which are visible if you were to put the GT spoiler on. You would have to have them filled and the hatch repainted.

TIM -aka- snipped-for-privacy@AOL.COM

Musttanguy