’97 accent cold starting problems

My ?97 accent GL with manual transmission at 130,000 kilometers (that?s around 75,000 miles) started giving me problems last winter. At first it was every couple of months, then every couple of weeks, then every couple of days. It would turn over, but not catch. I would have to crank it up to 24 times before it would start. I?d crank it 6 or 8 times then let it sit for 15 minutes. It would always start eventually, and when it did it would be fine for 6 or 8 hours or sometimes overnite. So I took it to a garage near where I work. They?ve been around since the 40s and have an excellent reputation. I normally would have taken it to the hyundai dealer where I bought it, but they changed owners last year and the new people are shady. The garage changed my starter, explaining that my starter wasn?t turning fast enough. I took their word for it and picked it up on a friday, the 19th of august. They charged me $335 canadian dollars. So it started up saturday and sunday, but monday morning it took 45 minutes to start it. Tuesday and wednesday it was fine, but thursday morning it took 12 cranks or so. Let it sit at work for 6 hours and it did it again, although only 6 cranks started it. Friday and saturday it was good, didn?t drive it sunday and am about to go to work now, so my fingers are crossed. The garage wants me to leave it with them which means I?m looking at 30 mile bus trip to work and back. I got a new battery last fall as well as new spark plugs and wires. I?ve been reading topics in this forum and other people have been having the same problem.It?s been suggested that a bad crank sensor is the problem, but nobody has come back and said that replacing that solved their problem. Has anybody that went through what I?m going through fixed the problem? Except for this, my accent has been excellent.

Reply to
y0g1bare

One of the problems with this situation is that over the internet we can't really find out what's going on with your car. Ideally, we'd check it with a scan tool to see if there are any codes, what the sensors are reading, etc. We'd check for spark and injector pulse. These are things that will help us figure out what type of problem you're having and what systems to check.

There've been a couple threads about coolant temperature sensor problems causing a similar issue. The fact that it cranks for a while and eventually starts makes me believe it's less likely a crank sensor than other cases. I suppose you could try moving the connector around a little on the coolant temp sensor and retry starting the car. Wiggling the connector sometimes makes the temp sensor return to the normal value.

Reply to
hyundaitech

have you flooded the car in the last while. had a similar problem with my elantra VE. after you flood the car you Must change the spark plugs and oil. once I did that everything went back to normal

Reply to
Bain

"" wrote: > One of the problems with this situation is that over the > internet we can't > really find out what's going on with your car. Ideally, we'd > check it > with a scan tool to see if there are any codes, what the > sensors are > reading, etc. We'd check for spark and injector pulse. These > are things > that will help us figure out what type of problem you're > having and what > systems to check. > > There've been a couple threads about coolant temperature > sensor problems > causing a similar issue. The fact that it cranks for a while > and > eventually starts makes me believe it's less likely a crank > sensor than > other cases. I suppose you could try moving the connector > around a little > on the coolant temp sensor and retry starting the car. > Wiggling the > connector sometimes makes the temp sensor return to the normal > value.

Thanks for the reply. I?ll try wiggling that sensor when I find out where it is. I picked up a chilton hyundai repair manual on cd at wal mart. I?ll try that before I leave my car at the garage so they can see what?s happening when it doesn?t start.

Reply to
y0g1bare

I never heard of having to replace plugs and change the oil after flooding an engine. I don?t think I?ve ever flooded it. I can?t smell any gas. I keep the accelerator halfway down when cranking, I never pump it.

Reply to
y0g1bare

The sensor is on the thermostat housing.

Also, you shouldn't have to hold the pedal down at all when starting.

Reply to
hyundaitech