'98 Accent X3 - swapping in another engine

hi all,
looking for any advice/tips.
i've been offered, for free, a '98 accent x3 (auto tranny). hasn't been driven for half a year, doesn't start, the last mechanic (supposedly a
'good guy') dropped in some sort of engine and the darn thing still didn't start up...
it actually 'looks' ok... no rust on the body, not banged up at all really. getting some mechanics to look it over now, to give me an estimate to see how much it will cost just to get it to start.
i'm in no rush to get it legally on the road, and thinking of dropping in a new engine, take my time having it fixed up...
i've been told that other then the stock engine for the x3, a 1.8 or 2.0 beta engine from a tiburon will do fine as well - any ideas on this, guys? any other engine suggestions? i'm not looking for any crazy horsepower or speed - just something decent, reliable, and hopefully affordable. any input would be appreciated.
thanks in advance.
There may be engine management issues or modifications that need to be made if you try to put the 1.8 or 2.0 in the car.