Getting Rid of the 'Check Engine' Light

My '02 Elantra has given the infamous, "Check Engine" light. Indeed, someone else had gassed up the car and not put the gas cap on right. But
after two fills, it still has not gone out.
Experienced the same thing when I rented an '04 Santa Fe. Fuel cap not on right, check engine light came on, but then refused to go out. The service guy at the rental place even believed that once the light goes on, it is on for life.
There must be a re-set button or something. Ideas, anyone?
Tom Wenndt
there is probably a better way but disconnecting the battery for a few minutes may clear it. It did on my Accent.
On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 21:05:13 -0500, "Rev. Tom Wenndt"

Just remember if you disconnect the battery you will lose all the settings on yur radio, clock ECT. dont forget to reset those... When it happened to my 2005 XG350L it took 2 days for the light to go off but hasnt come back on since
Tunez

Rev. Tom Wenndt wrote:

My Chrysler and GM cars will automatically reset after a certain number of engine starts if the problem doesn't recur. However, I think it is a fairly high number, something like 50 sticks in my mind. So, it could take a couple of weeks or more to reset on its own.
The dealer can reset it instantly with a scan tool, so you may want to swing by your local dealer and have them take care of it.
Matt
Thanx for your replies, everyone. I will wait a few days, and then do the battery thing. Thankfully, it is not nearly the bother to disconnect the battery as it is on my Oldsmobile (the famous GM Theftlock).
Tom Wenndt

It will eventually go off by itself or you can go by an Auto Zone and they will turn it off for you for free,
--

"Rev. Tom Wenndt" < snipped-for-privacy@grics.net> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@enews2.newsguy.com...