How many miles will a Hyundai

How many miles will the newer Hyundai's run before there ready for the bone yard, altho the quaility is up from the first generations, there's never going to be any re-sale value, as in a Honda or a Toyota.It would be nice if they would run 200K with maintance.

So if I were to buy a Hyundai I would have to run it in the ground, or trade it on another Hyundai.

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

's is not a plural marker. You mean "Hyundais" here.

This is a run-on sentence. You want a "?" after "bone yard". Use a speling checker, and remember that "there" != "they're" != "their", eh?

1975: "Japanese cars suck! Honda cars/motorcycles are *never* going to have the resale value of Ford/Chevy cars!"

Stuff changes. I'd say Hyundai (now) = Honda (1985) . ICBW.

Since recent Hyundai cars sold in the USA have a 60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty and a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, I don't think 200,000 miles is out of the question. I can't speak for this, though, as my Tiburon is only 2.2 years old and only has 22,000 miles on it. I *can* say that it's had zero mechanical problems except for the time I ran over a raccoon, which caused $80 worth of trim damage.

Can you provide supporting evidence for this statement? Or did you mean "If I were to buy a Hyundai, would I have to run it into the ground?" ?

Cars depreciate faster than anything except computer equipment. Given that, the smart thing to do from a pure financial standpoint is this: Buy a car that has a good repair record and is 1 or 2 years old, then drive that car until it falls apart. This means you can't show off a new car every 3 years, but it also means you will spend much less money on cars. YMMV, naturally.

If you want specific advice, you need to say what model you're interested in, what your plans are, and what's important to you. HTH,

Reply to
Dances With Crows

Reply to
Jody

FWIW. My 1996 Hyundai Accent is at 193,050 miles and going strong. My wife says that she intends to prevent me from catching up to her machine a 1993 Subaru Impreza with 213,200 miles. The Accent owes me nothing considering I paid $7.5K for it when brand new in 1996. At a consistent 40 - 43 mpg on the highway the machine long ago delivered its value.

Jozef Verm>> How many miles will the newer Hyundai's run

Reply to
Jozef

When I met my wife she was driving a 92' or 93' Excel which had about

150,000 on the clock when it was wrecked. We replaced it with a 97' Tiburon that now has over 180,000 on the ticker, granted it has nowhere near the power that it had when we bought it, but I think that it will make it to the 200,000 mark unless it too gets replaced.

The only mechanical problems to date have been 2 alternaters and some cooling issues (left the fluid in too long and had to replace the hoses). Just the recommended maintainance at their proper intervals, you know tires, brakes, timing belts, and the like. It still has the factory clutch. If someone can tell me how to do that on my Camaro, Firebird, and Mustang I'd be the happiest guy on the block.

...Ron

--

68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert
Reply to

OK. Look. Yeah: it's a real pain to have to read peoples' bad use of English on the Internet and try to figure out what they mean. Misuse of apostrophes is galling to me too, since I attempt to write clearly and have acquired a reputation for effective writing.

I feel that before a person posts, that person should learn how to write English. It's not that hard. However, I'll allow that for some folks, it's harder than for others.

However, and note this well: it's _also_ a pain to have to read excessive verbiage auto-tagged onto the beginnings and ends of posts, as, "...-0500, twfsa staggered into the Black Sun and said:" Out of kindness, I'll refrain from calling this blather what it is... This is worse, you know, than "Do you Yahoo?" since, after all, this is essentially a joke between you and yourself: you have control over it. It's just excessive blather to others. I really don't give a flying f--- about your private in-jokes.

Give me a break: please put yourself into the shoes of others and stop this, especially before you pick at other posters' scabs for their bad netequette.

Your points about cars, however, are well-taken.

"Supporting evidence?" Is the OP on trial?

Valid (I can pass judgment, too).

I'll add: I bought a 2000 Sonata with 107k on the clock. It's in excellent shape for its age; obviously driven mostly on the freeway. The underside steel looks like new. However, contrast this with a car driven 100,000 miles through New York City potholes and slush. Cars will, of course, wear very differently in different climates, different terrain, and different driving conditions. It's complicated.

Back in Connecticut during the 60s, I saw people having their Borgwards and Peugeots rebuilt at 200,000 miles. Undoubtedly Volvos, too (the first two were built like German and French Volvos, respectively). Some cars are really built to last. I'm not sure that the jury's in about Hyundai yet -- from reading over the Consumer Reports charts, I get the sense that Hyundai hasn't fallen into a groove yet. Those charts are, in my opinion, built on rickety information. Nonetheless, with a grain of salt, one can spot trends with them.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Steinfeld

well... i can say only best thigs about endurance and quality, my hyundai accent (2001 1,3 liter 75hp) had 62000 km in less then 3 years

- (now it is RIP, a truck hit it with 70km/h speed in the back end, 4 girls wore in there without injury, the car was stoped at red light) - (at begining of second it had 47000 km then my wife got her car) ... we had no trouble only oilchanges and thats it... i know of one security company in croatia that uses hyundai accents for it cars ... they run 24hour a day, only time they are not working is when they are changing oil or geting fuel ... they make 100.000 km or more a year...

and one of colegues that i know over internet had 600.000 km on its accent (1996/97 i think and i checked that fackt at servise center and they did confirm it...) and then it changed only some rubber on engine and likes and it runs even today wizhout complete overhoul... only regular service...

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Matt G Do you have any friends that you can carry on a conversation with, without correcting there use of the English ????.

My guess is no....... Maybe you and Richard Steinfeld can get together, and instance message each other and correct each others grammar.

Reply to
twfsa

My 97 Tiburon has just passed the 250,000 mile mark and is still running strong. It uses about a quart of oil every 1000 miles, but I don't consider that excessive for a car with this many miles on it. I bought the car new so I know what has been repaired over the years. During its' in-warranty period, the throttle position sensor was out of spec which caused a couple visits to the dealer. Also, the clutch master cylinder went out at about 45,000 miles and was replaced by the dealer. The first "major" repair (that I had to pay for) was replacing the alternator at

170,000 miles. The only other major repair I had to contend with was a failed clutch throw-out bearing at 230,000 miles. As amazing as it sounds, when I dropped the transmission and removed the clutch there was virtually no wear to the disk or pressure plate, but I replaced it all anyway. I have never before owned a car that is as reliable as my Tiburon. I have a spare engine sitting in my garage (a 2000cc from a '99 Elantra with 43,000 miles on it) in anticipation of the day when this power plant finally does give up, but at this point, it doesn't seem like that will be any time soon.
Reply to
Dan

My daughter bought a 04 Sonata she goes no where, but happens to put on 23k a year, I was concerned the car would be wore out before its paid for.

Thanks for your reply.

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

That good to know, i have a 2002 accent, my transmission dosent seem to shift as well as it used to, i hope this isnt a signs of things to come, but for now I am happy that i bought the 100k bumper to bumper warrenty. But I do see my self getting a new car and keeping my accent as a second car (I got the accent in college and have a little more $$ now)

Reply to
illusion123a

Reply to
Harry Smith

Manuel transmission or automatic? 3 or 4 speed automatic? 4 or 5 speed manuel?

Reply to
eastwardbound2003

Is the transmission automatic or manuel? I ask because this makes all the difference in longevity.

Reply to
eastwardbound2003

Reply to
twfsa

Sorry twifsa I was not asking you. I was asking Harry Smith about his car.

An automatic will not last as long as a manual because of the additional engine load that autos put on the engine. Also Autos are more sensitive to mechanical irregularities and would cause the engine to stop running before a manual would. Once again it's because of the added load. Also an automatic will not get as good gas mileage as the manual counterpart.

Reply to
eastwardbound2003
1998 Elantra, manual 210,000 km regular maintenance, engine still going strong only repairs were two front wheel bearings and one power steering hose

I like the car.

Reply to
GP

However, in San Francisco, the reverse is true. Think about the stresses throughout when at a stop sign sloping backward; you attempt to start up without rolling back into the Buick that's right on your bumper. You get going by slipping the clutch while your engine screams.

My hunch is that as far as real-world mechanical longevity goes, the two systems are a draw. One "X-factor" is the driver; and I'll bet that most standard shift drivers are a bit rougher on the mechanicals than the automatic drivers. The automatic tends to prevent the driver from doing stupid things with the machine.

And I could be equally wrong; in other words, I think that there are too many variables here to be sure one way or the other. But the automatics don't, in general, get the efficiency of the manuals.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Steinfeld

Don't believe that for a minute. Those same stresses that are affecting the clutch slippage are working even harder on the automatic transmission. More power needed move the vehicle = more heat created through the pump and clutch packs/bands = more wear and needed preventive maintainance.

I might be a little harder on transmissions than the average person, none of the cars that I've had with auto transmissions made it past

100,000 miles without some major work needed to the transmission. Manual transmissions usually last me the the time I own the car. I usually replace the clutch when I buy a car so I don't get stranded and so I know what I have under my clutch pedal.

...Ron