Hyundai Accent Just About Starts & Then Chugs & Rattles a While

I have a 1997 Hyundai Accent 1.5 MVi, which we've had many problems with over the past year. I've noticed that other people on this forum have left similar symptoms to those that we experienced a while back (namely
intermittent starting, which turned out to be a catalogue of things costing us 300!). For the past 6 months she's been fine (apart from the occasional non-start).
In the past 2 days we have a problem! when we start she sounds like she's struggling to fire but when she does she begind to chug and rattle whilst in idle tickover. The revs go down almost to the point of stalling but then back up & down and so on. If you hold her at 2000 revs or so then she sounds quite normal - the chug & rattle seems to go, but apparently when you drive her a mile or 2 at a speed of 30-50mph she smells a little of burning (so the wife says). Please can you help before I take to a garage, and do you reckon it's expensive?
Thanks, Luigi
PS... found a bolt about an inch long under where the car was parked the first time this happened. Could be a coincidence.
This could be a lot of things, but Id primarily recommend looking at the idle actuator, the idle switch (if you have one), and the throttle position sensor. Most of the rattling, etc., is probably due to the low idle.
Of course, it could be the other way around, too. You may have a misfire at idle, causing the idle to be too low.
"LuigiJaks" wrote: > I have a 1997 Hyundai Accent 1.5 MVi, which we've had many > problems with > over the past year. I've noticed that other people on this > forum have > left similar symptoms to those that we experienced a while > back (namely > intermittent starting, which turned out to be a catalogue of > things > costing us 300!). For the past 6 months she's been fine > (apart from the > occasional non-start). > > In the past 2 days we have a problem! when we start she > sounds like she's > struggling to fire but when she does she begind to chug and > rattle whilst > in idle tickover. The revs go down almost to the point of > stalling but > then back up & down and so on. If you hold her at 2000 revs > or so then > she sounds quite normal - the chug & rattle seems to go, but > apparently > when you drive her a mile or 2 at a speed of 30-50mph she > smells a little > of burning (so the wife says). Please can you help before I > take to a > garage, and do you reckon it's expensive? > > Thanks, > Luigi > > PS... found a bolt about an inch long under where the car was > parked the > first time this happened. Could be a coincidence.