nitrogen

To set the record straight Nitrogen has less moisture than the air we breathe. When a tire heats up it expands. The less moisture in a tire the less expansion. Tire expansion or overinflated tires MAY increase fuel economy (by decreasing rolling resistance) slightly... BUT as a tire expands the contact patch (rubber on the road) decreases causing your traction, handling, and ride comfort to diminish. An over-inflated tire is also more prone to puncture or to damage (ie when you run over a pot hole, etc). The guy from Costco just didn't quite have his facts straight... but he is headed in the right direction, and we know that it is NEVER possible that someone could have their facts straight but the person listening to the sales pitch was the dummy that couldn't accurately recall or didn't understand the concept........ no this is not possible........

Reply to
Oz

And this is important for what reason? No one disputes the fat that it may be "better" in certain applications, such as aircraft that changes altitude by 36,000 feet and 100 degrees, or in a race car going 180 mph for an hour at a time between tire changes. For 99.9% of everyday driving, the air-nitrogen difference just makes no real difference. That 5 mile trip to work or hte 10 mile country drive at 50 mph won't matter very much.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You are right Ed, any sensible driver has know that for years. Tires with proper inflation should handle the 3 or 4 psi rise from cold to hot. I set mine at 34 psi. I thought this issue had been put to bed, guess I'm feeding a troll.

Reply to
Darby OGill