Timing Belt Replacement..2006 Elantra

Page 1 of 2
Coming up on the 60,000 mile service which means timing belt replacement..Is this a dealer only thing ?? If not what documention do I need from the independent for the warrantee to still be good??? Thanks for any help...

Must also be a Hyundai belt. Mine had some odd name on it. Buy from Hyundai dealer and save receipt.
?

According to US law, you are never required to have dealer service for maintenance.
You do have to use a genuine Hyundai belt though. Buy it from the dealer and save the receipt.
Some people replace the water pump at the same time. The labor portion is the same do do the water ump so for the cost of the pump you potentially save some money if you have early failure. OTOH, it is still under warranty to 100,000 miles so the real risk does not cume in yet. Consider doing it at 120,000 though.

I will have him get the belt from Hyundia and have all the info on the work order and reciept...Thanks...
On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 00:45:22 -0500, benick wrote:

I think there are one or two other parts beside the belt, a tension adjuster thing?

I joined this group to review info on the models offered by Hyundai....I just wanted to know, is this the correct interval for a timing belt? Honda timing belt intervals are 105k miles or 7 years, and have been for awhile (I've had more then a few). Just wondering about the disparity in a major service for a vehicle.....
?

Most all of the new Hyundai models have timing chains now, no more belts to change. They did give the interval at 60,000 miles though. If you go to the Gates web site, they tell you what cars have interference engines and what the recommended change interval is.
I suspect they came up with that interval for one of the following reasons: That is what the belt manufacturer told them to do Shorter interval = less warranty claims Shorter interval = more work for the service department
If you do not change the belt at the proper interval, other parts of the car are still covered under warranty as normal, but if you have engine failure from belt breakage, you are SOL.
?>Most all of the new Hyundai models have timing chains now, no more belts to

belt at 60k will NOT void the 100k warranty. For that reason I waited until almost 100k to do the timing belt. The fact that my belt lasted almost 100k makes me wonder if the 60k requirement is sooner than really necessary? I wonder if anyone has compiled statistics for what percentage of belts break at various mileages? Anyway, there you have it.
On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 08:21:39 -0800, Victek wrote:

Age is also a factor, my 2001 Elantra is just coming up to 80k miles, but the timing belt would have been 10 years old by now, it was replaced at the 60k miles. Belts perish with age and heat related stress as well as wear.
Victek wrote:

I am curious. Why is this not the case in CA? If I never change my oil is my engine warranty still good for 100,000 miles? I really find that hard to believe.
Matt

I can't explain why it is so, but it is. Take a look in an Elantra owner's manual and you will see it noted as such. I was as surprised as you, but it really is there in black and white. There are a few other California peculiarities such as the rust warranty. Not sure of the specifics on that one, but it seemed very odd to me at the time.
Eric
?

60k timing belt replacement not being required in California is noted in the Owner's Manual. Perhaps the State government required Hyundai to waive the requirement and include it under the 100k powertrain warranty? I don't know that for a fact, but there's some logic to it. In any case given the cost involved it would be nice if the belts went away.
?

I think you are correct. I saw something to that affect a while back but do not recall te details.

Pretty much have on the new models
On 1/14/11 11:21 AM, Victek wrote: The fact that my belt lasted almost 100k

I changed the belt in the 2002 Sonata I bought used in 2009, with 104K on it. 2.7L engine. I didn't do it myself so I don't know what shape the belt was in.
    I don't think I will do it when it comes "time". At that point the car won't be worth putting $1000 into so I will take my chances.
PB

ruining the head, Hyundai fixes it for free. Your belt breaks at 85,000 on a Honda, what does Honda do for you?

I am nor questioning warranties, just service intervals.
?

Benick makes a good point. They work together, thus the reason for the interval. By having you change the belt at 60k, Hyundai reduces their liability on the engine that has a 100k warranty on it. If they offered a 36k engine warranty, they would not care if you ever changed the belt because they have no liability. Honda only warrants the engine for 36,000 miles. They have no liability if the belt breaks between 36k and 100k.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

True and I have first-hand experience that Honda will NOT stand behind their engines once out of warranty. I had a complete cam and rocker arm failure (yes, all 16 rocker arms) on my 1984 Accord at 70,000 miles. Honda's response was "out of warranty" so pay up. I had the car fixed, traded it shortly after for a Plymouth Acclaim (which was a fantastic car up until my wife totaled it a 146K) and haven't owned anything since that said Honda on it. Won't even buy a Honda lawnmower. I guess Honda showed me who was boss.
Matt
wrote

I guess it is a matter of experience. I've had 6 Honda autos over the years, a couple of them in excess of 250k miles on them when I gave them away to family members....I've never had any major issues with any of them.
I'm looking at Hyundai as a possibility for a future buy.....timing belt at 60k, which is a major PM, is a check in the "don't like" column. Of course the warranty period is a check in the "do like" column.
yundai at 60,000 miles and it breaks

"Most" newer Hyundai's (since 2006 or so depending on model) now use timing chains which require no PM while in the warranty period.
Eric