Tucson roof rack removal (partial)

I'm trying to take off the two horizontal bars on the roof rack to possibly improve highway mileage a little. But after removing the two small screws on either side of the crossbar, the only ones I see, the plastic frame barely bends out enough to see the large star bolt for the crossbar. I've pulled on the frame pretty good and it won't budge any further, don't want to break it.

Are there any hidden screws, etc. that I'm missing? Or possibly am I doing the sequencing wrong in the removal? The Hyundai manual only shows the main fore-aft bar removal process.

Thanks!

Reply to
unkadunk

I'd strip off the antenna too.

Reply to
D&SW

I don't recall looking at one of these in a while. If it's similar to the '01-'06 Santa Fe, there's a locking that must be turned. Then, a tab can be lifted to remove the crossbar.

Reply to
hyundaitech

"hyundaitech" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

Thanks, I saw the tab but it didn't want to move, though now I recall I didn't push on it just before I put everything back together.

I want to try to get it back to this configuration:

unkadunk

Don't forget the side mirrors they are good for another mile per gallon.

Reply to
Finn

Usually, the lock needs to be turned with a tool. Often, the tool is in the glove box in a plastic bag.

Reply to
hyundaitech

"Finn" wrote in news:4568$46cdd8ad$4c0a8006$4577 @TEKSAVVY.COM:

Got it, ditto the antenna. After the roof rack I'm going to pry off the metal logos and side trim. And that front license plate is definitely a goner. I also make sure it's washed and waxed, definitely disrupts the air flow going over all those bumps of dirt. Bug goop on the windshield too.

Reply to
unkadunk

OK, you win, I laughed so hard I wet my pants. Hope you get your cross members off .

Reply to
D&SW