Verizon has killed access to this newsgroup

Well, it appears that anyone who posted in, or read this group that is a Verizon customer is now toast. Nothing like killing off a very useful group - yeah, I know there's a bunch of trash in alt.*, but many of the
groups are like this where useful information is passed. Real controversial stuff here, like which is better.... dino or synthetic oil?
Some kook in alt.cracks pushed the block due to the "illegal" activities there....
I saw the post a few days ago... all alt.* banned.
--
Steve

2008 Sonata SE- His
Bob wrote:

It's not just Verizon......Time Warner Road Runner killed all newsgroups on 6-23.
You can do what I did. I went to TeraNews for free newsgroups. Not spam, just a solution. It will cost a one time $3.95 setup fee and you can download up to 50 Mb a day. Plenty of bandwidth to read a text group.
https://secure.usenetbilling.com/newbilling/manageaccount.cgi?referredby 14095951&action=Create+New+Account&vendor=teranews

REPLY: Im on Verizon Broadband right now , and im accessing this NG. Ive never had a problem.
REPLY: Im on Verizon Broadband right now , and im accessing this NG. Ive never had a problem.
No, you are on "Cellco Partnership DBA Verizon Wireless", and you are posting / reading via Google Groups. I wouldn't exactly call cellular based Internet anything close to broadband. Verizon, the actual Internet provider, has removed alt.* from their News servers. Try accessing Verizon's News server, and see how well that works.

Does this mean we can get out of our contracts for Verizon DSL due to the fact that they changed their service???

Does this mean we can get out of our contracts for Verizon DSL due to the fact that they changed their service???
Not likely. Most of those contracts don't guarantee anything and allow the ISP to discontinue or change anything they want. They don't even mention usenet, so it would be pretty hard to win that one.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net