Warranty and Timing Belt change

My 2000 Sonata GLS v6 only has 40k miles on it so I am not inclined to change out the Timing Belt yet. However, I do not want to invalidate the warranty so I got out the "2000 Owners Manual" On page 5-5 entitled "Vehicle Maintenance Requirements" under Timing Belt it is indicated that the timing belt be replaced at 60,000 miles or 48 months. However the "R" on the table is followed by *1. At the bottom of the page the *1 is defined as the following.

FOR CALIFORNIA - THIS MAINTENANCE IS RECOMMENDED, BUT NOT REQUIRED.

I do live in California and I interpret this to mean that the timing belt replacement is not a Warranty requirement in California. I have never seen this mentioned before in this newsgroup.

For other owners of the 2000 Sonata, I ask that you check page 5-5 of your Owners Manual and see if you agree.

I would like to see Hyundaitech's comments on this.

Old_Timer

Reply to
Old_Timer

Your reading is the same as mine. They cannot deny you warranty coverage because you didn't replace the timing belt. The V6 doesn't seem to be hard on the belts, so I have little reason to believe that you'll have an issue if you let it go another two years to 60k. In fact, if you're the original owner, you have little reason to do it prior to 10years/100k miles, since the timing belt is a powertrain component.

After the expiration of the warranty, it's probably a good idea to replace the belt every 60k just to be safe. The timing belt is rather inexpensive compared to engine repair.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Hyundaitech, if I am understanding you right, you are saying that Hyundai owners DO NOT have to replace the timing belt becasue its a covered part?! This is good to know becasue I am going to b e hitting 60k with in the next year. Also do you know, if you drive more then 3000k in 3 months, which will hyundai look at, the 3 month interval between oil changes of the 3k?

Reply to
illusion123a

California only

And for warrenty requirements only ... @100K it becomes your nickel.

Reply to
Andrew Cripps

That holds ONLY if you live in California. If you check your owner's manual, you'll see pretty much what Old_Timer typed out.

So, if you live in California, and your're the original owner, you're good for 10/100.

If you live in California, and you're not the original owner, you're good for 5/60.

If you do not live in California, and you're the original owner, the belt is covered for 10/100 AS LONG AS YOU REPLACE IT AT THE REQUIRED 4/60 INTERVALS.

If you do not live in California, and you're not the original owner, the belt is covered for 5/60 AS LONG AS YOU REPLACE IT AT THE REQUIRED 4/60 INTERVAL.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Hyundaitech

Could you give me a ballpark cost for having the timing belt changed on a 2001 Elantra. I have 182K on it and never had it changed.

Thanks, James17

Reply to
james17

I am betting $400 for the timing belt, but while you are doing that change the water pump and belt tensioner. If you get lucky a $600 job and you are good for another 182K!

I bet the dealer will even through in a free oil change and brake inspection.

If you feel like pushing your luck.. see if you can get your tires rotated and balanced for free too!

:)

ElantraStan

The Commander

Where exactly does it specify that you MUST replace the timing belt by the 4/60 inverval?

My manual says something about 100k timing belt changes in the 'light duty' service schedule, which I'd guess at least 80% of america falls into.

I replaced mine at 68k. Could have gone a while more..

I still haven't taken it in to get the valve noise checked out. Unluckily my lawn tractor has developed a similar ugly noise from some lubricated part inside the crankcase, and its *not* under warranty. I'm really starting to question the quality of the Mobil-1 I've been using in *everything* around here for nearly 10 years...

JS

Reply to
Jacob Suter

Look in the warranty book.

They usually can, but the change is required in order to maintain the warranty.

It's not likely to be the oil. No oil will protect an engine if the level is not maintained or it's not changed at recommended intervals.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom