Waxing new car ... Questions

Page 2 of 2
'Just wash it well with dish soap and wax with the wax of your choice. nate'
Reply: DO NOT use dish soap ; it takes the wax off of the car. Use proper Car Wash like Turtle Wax concentrated Car Wash. According to a
comprehensive study done, the 2 top leading Waxes are : P21S and Zaino P21S outshined Zaino by a tad, but, Zaino was the most durable. Both cannot be store bought. These are what Classic Car finatics use . Go to www.zainobros.com for more info and pics on what a car looks like after applying this product. Its not cheap, but the shine and durability is really incredible.
i really like my meguires gold glass/class for clear coats, blue polly is good too

snipped-for-privacy@stonyx.com wrote in

Have you searched online? Take a look at http://www.autogeek.net/ or http://froogle.google.com if you have a specific product in mind.

Not sure if you want to clean/polish a new car. You might check with the service people at the dealership.

Yes, it is generally true that synthetics last longer. Some would argue pure carnauba yields a better look. This is a subject of much debate, especially with the sheer number of products out there.

The label should distinctly say carnauba or polymer/synthetic. Google?

Klasse (synthetic) is worth a look. I used the sealant glaze on an older car. You might have to order it online. Liquid will usually be easier to apply than paste. YMMV

I'd pick up a Porter Cable 7424 dual-action (i.e. "beginner safe") polisher. Follow it with a good glaze and then a wax of your choice (polymers clean up nicely). Maybe "Meguiar's Proper Machine Polishing Video" while you're at it. Helps speed up the process and produces a very nice wet-like shine when done.
I used some 3M Glazing Compound that helped to eliminate a lot of the factory orange peel surface defects. The Meguiar's Polymer wax (about $15) worked well and came off easier than most waxes (I believe it has some carnauba in it). The Meguiar's website has an online user customizable feature that will guide you through the use a the products.
Mack
First, never, ever, use dish soap as was recommended above. It will RUIN your paint.
Unless your car has been sitting in a storage yard for a long time it shouldn't need any sort of cleaner or compound to prep before waxing. Wash it using a soap designed specifically for washing cars.
A few years back Consumer Reports tested all kinds of car waxes. Nu Finish got the highest rating, it's also a lot less expensive than the more exotic brands. Nothing against Meguires, Mothers or others, just that a new car shouldn't need any special care products.

I use Nu Finish, only. Excellent results on my 2000 Saturn (finish like new) and my 2004 Sonata.
True, use a soap designed for cars ONLY. Strong soaps will ruin your finish, it's too harsh. I learned the hard way. : (
Brian
I just realized, it's not Eage One Gold Class, it's Meguiar's Gold Class. Just wanted to point that out ... my mistake. I was thinking of Eagle One Black Magic, which apparently is supposed to be decent too ... any info on how long it lasts?
Btw, if it's polymer based, can I automatically assume that it will last longer than a carnauba wax based wax?
Thanks, Harry
On 31 Aug 2005 08:54:38 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@stonyx.com wrote:

Well you have access to the Internet, obviously, so the product I use and recommend is available to you there. Some may consider this heresy, but I use a product called Perma Shield. It is a polymer Teflon formula. It gives a glassy VERY high shine and is as easy to use a regular wax, easier, actually, and lasts for a very long time.
I recently sold a 1993 Nissan Pickup that was a true red, which, as I sure you know, is a color that normally oxidizes worse than any other. That truck was never garaged a single day, in a hot, bright inland Southern California climate. I would put a coat of Perma Shield on the truck maybe once a year. When I sold it the finish looked like new. Normally when you wax a red vehicle, even one taken care of fairly well, you will see some red color on the cloth as it takes off some oxidized paint. On that Nissan the was simply no red, there was NO apparent oxidation.
Oh well, I am raving on, sorry. This is one product I would do a commercial for if asked. And I have NO connection to the company.
If interested you can go to the Perma Shield site at www.permashield.net.
Good luck with your new car. I am driving a 2004 Sonata LX and could not be happier with it.
I have also just picked up a brand new 2005 Elantra SE and would like to know what I should do to protect the dash and the seats.
I read that some don't like Armour All. Any other suggestions?
The last new car I use 3M ScotchGuard on the seats and carpet. Any suggestions?
Thx!
i use formula 2001, comes in a bright green bottle