Waxing new car ... Questions

Nate, you have quite a large collection of classic cars to still think that dish soap is a suitable car wash agent.

Dish soap has harsh detergents in it (to lift grease out of your way) that are way to harsh to use on your car if you want to have any sort of wax remain on the paint for more that six or eight car washes.

Use any brand of car wash soap, and use alot of it to lift the dirt away from the finish as you wash.

Bernard

Reply to
Bernard Farquart

Jody

'Just wash it well with dish soap and wax with the wax of your choice. nate'

Reply: DO NOT use dish soap ; it takes the wax off of the car. Use proper Car Wash like Turtle Wax concentrated Car Wash. According to a comprehensive study done, the 2 top leading Waxes are : P21S and Zaino P21S outshined Zaino by a tad, but, Zaino was the most durable. Both cannot be store bought. These are what Classic Car finatics use . Go to

for more info and pics on what a car looks like after applying this product. Its not cheap, but the shine and durability is really incredible.

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

Reply to
Jody

I use Nu Finish, only. Excellent results on my 2000 Saturn (finish like new) and my 2004 Sonata.

True, use a soap designed for cars ONLY. Strong soaps will ruin your finish, it's too harsh. I learned the hard way. : (

Brian

Reply to
Brian Matthews

Ummm.. waxing and washing are two differsnt things?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Matthews

'Ummm.. waxing and washing are two differsnt things? Brian'

Reply: Yes indeed. Washing is removing the loose dirt on a cars surface ; waxing is protecting the surface once its cleaned. Actually, to do it correctly, one should use a special Clay Bar after the washing and before the waxing ; a Clay Bar removes deeply engrained road grime and other fine debris and makes the surface extremely smooth .

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

I have also just picked up a brand new 2005 Elantra SE and would like to know what I should do to protect the dash and the seats.

I read that some don't like Armour All. Any other suggestions?

The last new car I use 3M ScotchGuard on the seats and carpet. Any suggestions?

Thx!

Reply to
Alan B

i use formula 2001, comes in a bright green bottle

Reply to
Jody

You want to tell that to my wife, who *formulates them*?

No; it doesn't clean more thoroughly and it isn't formulated to remove stuff like bug gutz, manure splatter, & asphalt/tar residue. Just buy the Kit Car Wash and leave the Dawn in the kitchen.

-- C.R. Krieger (Who gets it free.)

Reply to
Motorhead Lawyer