91 pickup fuel pump questions

Hello. I have a 91 Isuzu 4x4 pickup with the throttle body v6 in it. The fuel pump recently quit on me. Now the problem I am having is the fact that
they (part stores) want almost $400 for the fuel pump. The fuel pump is located inside the fuel tank.
I was wondering if I could install an inline high pressure fuel pump up from the tank and get away with it. This will only run me a little over $100. I disconnected the fuel line just before the filter and could get a steady stream of fuel . Fuel line lower than the tank therefore just siphoning the tank. This tells me the fuel pump in the tank is allowing fuel to pass through. It will not kick on and add any pressure.
Thank you for your thoughts on this.

shopping around for an in the tank pump? the one for my rodeo was just about $60 for the pump only, (not the complete assembly)...
-

sure to get one that provides the proper pressure, on my 93 3.2 mpi the book calls for 46-48 psi, should be pretty close to the same on yours, but be sure and check...
-