Engine problem

98 Trooper 3.5L vengine went dead on the road today. Of course it started again after I came back with a hired hand. We drove it to the garage, mechanic is looking at it right now... I'm wondering if such behaviour can
be due to faulty crankshaft position sensor? If I understand correctly it can prevent ignition from working? Come to think of it occasionally I had to crank it more than usual, especially if the engine was warm.
Peter
Peter wrote:

I had a 1993 Nissan Altima that had a bad cam shaft position sensor. It would run fine one day, stutter horribly the next or some days not run at all. No computer codes were ever generated. On the Altima the sensor was part of the distributor. The O-Ring on the distributer leaked allowing oil to get to the sensor. The distributor had to be replaced at a cost of $500. Warranty covered it.

started
can
it
had to

AllData says that camshaft sensor drives fuel injection sequence, and in case of failure ECM switches to limp mode (but still runs!). Crankshaft sensor, however, generates ignition pulses for ECM... it is not mentioned specifically but I reckon lack of ignition pulses will cause total ignition failure. There were no error codes generated, however.
Peter