Yikes! Knurled Off A Nut On My Trooper Exhaust Pipe. Now What?

Hello Folks:
I'm trying to remove the starter motor on my 1995 Trooper, and to do so, the shop manual says that I have to remove a section of the exhaust pipe. Of course, I was terrified to read that I had to goof
with the exhaust bolts, since I knew they would be frozen on. I sprayed about a gallon of penetrant on them, and the next day tried to remove them. I only managed to knurl off the points on one of the nuts. Now what? Is there a tool I can buy to grab the corroded, weakened nut? How do the pros do this? (short of a torch, of course ;) ).
Thanks!
Steven
Steven C wrote:

There is a special tool. Don't know how it is called in english. Ask your local hardware store. Otherwise try to split the nut. Good luck, Erik-Jan.
--

http://www.fotograaf.com/trooper

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 01:30:57 +0200, Erik-Jan Geniets

You know there is a tool called a nut buster. (Not to be confused with an occurrence during an athletic event.) Turn it in with a socket wrench and it splits the nut. I don't remember where I got it and haven't seen any for sale lately. My son thought I was spoofing him when I mentioned it and was amazed when I dug it out and used it.
Steven C <> wrote in message [snip]

I saw the tool you seek at my local NAPA store this morning. I set of sockets that are full of spiral ridges on the inside. Looked to me like they'd apply some serious torque to a worn nut.
HTH, Tom G
There are a number of different tools and techniques for removing frozen nuts... up to and including grinders, pneumatic chisels and torches. Go to a good tool store and check out what they have... you have to pick one based on accessibility and condition of what's left.
The easy to use tools are more suitable for nuts and bolts where the faces are knurled to the point they won't fit the standard tool and allow serious torque. They are less effective when they are also seriously seized (like you seem to have here). Don't rule out using a torch.... to heat the nut up, not cut it off... before applying whatever tool you choose.
BuddyWh