1983 XJ6 engine trouble

Hello Jaguar people,

Can you help?

We have: 1983 Jaguar XJ6 type 3

It fouls plugs, rough idle (when cold)

You can increase RPMs by depressing accelerator slowly.

If you depress the accellerator FULLY it will bog engine down/ not increase RPMs beyond 3500

The flow meter is NOT sticking as far as we can see.

There is a deep rumble sound coming from the intake.

All fuel injectors were tested and cleaned.

Injector and air flow meter eletrical connections were pulled/ sprayed, and reconnected.

Can anyone suggest a solution?

What should I check?

Thanks

aiiadict AT gmail DOT com

Reply to
Rich J.

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. A knowledgeable shop will charge me an arm and a leg, and then I will have to hop wherever I go, and I won't be able to press the brake when I am driving the Jag.

I'll replace the oxygen sensor and see if that helps.

Catalytic converter: It is new. We've tried pulling the plugs on the exhaust manifold (to allow exhaust to escape, if farther down the pipe there is blockage).... Pulling those plugs did not help performance.

Any other suggestions to what may be the problem are very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich

aiiadict AT gmail DOT com

Reply to
Rich J.

Rich, Have you tested the inlet manifold vacuum? It might be a valve timing problem. I had almost exactly your symptoms with my Mark 2 and it ended up being a slipped bottom timing chain. Graham

Reply to
Graham L