1991 Jaguar XJ6 Sports Mode Button

What all does the sports mode button do?

Does using this button put more wear and tear on the engine and transmission? __________________________ Mega Man JobCrunchersUnite.com

Reply to
Mega Man

The sports button is good for the transmission. It makes it shift a little crisper so there is less wear and tear on the clutches. It allows it to down shift quicker and easier and it tends to keep it in a lower gear to a higher rpm before shifting. I never take mine out of sports mode.

Dave

Mega Man wrote:

Reply to
test

It's apparently for use when you opt to shift "manually"...going thru the gears with the lever rather than using D. Anyway, that's what the one on my

2001 XJ8 is for. I use mine all the time I am in a city environment, turning it off and going to OD only when driving at hiway speeds.

Reply to
C B

It holds the gear for longer...i.e. to a higher rpm

Reply to
james hill

OFF- Go ON- Go Go

Reply to
Blake Dodson

that's not quite correct

I have a '90 Sovereign XJ6 with this sport mode button - it electronically changes the transmission shift points to a higher RPM, regardless of which gear you're in. I'm not sure of the exact # difference, but it is considerably more aggressive when you press the pedal than the "std" shift point mode.

Gerry A.

Reply to
HarleyG