spark plug wire placement

On a 1984-87 XJ6 distributer cap, if the hold down screws are at 12 and 6 oclock, where is the number one spark plug wire at? I know the firing order is 1 5 3 6 2 4 and is number 1 plug is next to the fire wall, but where is the number one on the distributer cap?.

Long story short, the screws that hold it on where stripped and I had to break the cap and use vise grips to remove the screws, it was really cold outside and the tape fell off.

Reply to
chefholloway

"chefholloway" skrev i meddelandet news:wEUKf.2025$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net...

Turn the engine clockvice until timing mark aligns vith indicator. See where you have the rotor pointing. Thats No 1 cylinder! The cap use to fit only in one position.

buy a repairs manual from Hynes.

Pepe Jaguar XJ 40 1994 Jaguar XJS 1995

Reply to
Pepe

Well, not quite... it's either #1 or #6, since the engine rotates twice for each rotation of the distributor. The engine has to be at the end of the compression stroke when the distributor rotor is at #1 post. Sorry, I don't have a series 3 or I'd run out and take a look

As best I could find from a Google search: with the distributor cap properly seated, #1 post should be the leftmost post at the FRONT of the distributor, ie, the front post closest to the left side of the car (your left as you sit in the car facing forward, so that if you stood up in the seat and looked down at the distributor, #1 would be at the 11 o'clock position). Number

1 cylinder is the rearmost cylinder on the engine. Distributor rotor spins counterclockwise as you look down on it, and firing order is 1, 5, 3, 6, 2, 4

So, if your car was properly configured before you started: when the timing mark is on the pointer and the #1 piston is on the compression (firing) cycle, the rotor will be pointing at the

11 o'clock position if you were standing up on the console looking down & forward at the distributor.
Reply to
WayneC