1997 Jeep Grane Cherokee/ Transmission problem

I have a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 5.2 L engine and 44 RE transmission.

It will not go into 1st gear. It starts out in 2nd gear. It will not shift down to 1st gear.

I also get an error code 37, which is listed as

"torque converter solenoid circuit fault")..

Have I lost my transmission, or is there a bad solenoid that may cure the problem ??

thanks for any tips and advice !!

James

Reply to
James

James,

The TCC solenoid circuit/unit failing by itself is not indicative of fatal transmission problems. If the computer has the ability to recognize the status of the tcc circuit (as on/off & complete) and monitor the resulting engine RPMs, it may throw the same code --- I can't recall if it did or not in my 4xRE failure. Suffice it to say, if the circuit and solenoid are fine and the TCC has broken up, you've got bigger problems on your hands. Are you able to confirm that, for any length of time, your torque converter lock-up function has been inoperative? ... because there is some documentation that talks about that code being triggered by a (non-existant in some models) trans. fluid temperature sensor.....

2nd gear from stop is commonly indicative of another problem related to governor pressure solenoid/sensor function....not a unique problem.

Of course, if your symptoms confirm TCC circuit issues and showed up at the same time as 2nd gear starts, then you might have leakage from one passage to another at a gasketed joint, for example -- or perhaps a leak resulting in low governed pressure can trigger both issues. Try the people at alt.autos.dodge.trucks, they've got plenty of experience with transmission failures.

The aformentioned parts still don't come cheap, so it's worth the $75 diagnostic fee before a shotgun repair.

Jon

Reply to
Jon

God Bless America, Bill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Hard to tell without looking. Could be as simple as a bad solenoid, wiring problem, or sticking valve.

How long has it been since you changed transmission fluid and is the fluid level too high or low?

Reply to
DougW

Thanks to Doug, Bill and Jon for helpful replies. My transmission fluid has been changed within the last 10,000 miles. I have checked it and it is normal, and not not dirty or black looking.

Since I made the first post, the Jeep is now stuck in 2nd. When it first started several days ago, it just lost 1st, but did ok from 2nd to 3rd etc. But now it is locked in 2nd, so I guess I may have a worse problem than I thought. I will have to do more testing about clearing the code etc.

Thanks again for the replies.

James

Reply to
James

You likely have the TCU locking out gears to prevent possible damage. I know this happens for overdrive in the 93 but 97 is a more advanced system.

hmm...

Have you had the trasmission filter changed? I assume they did this at the same time they changed fluid. Wonder if the pickup wasn't put back in or they missed something on reassembly.

Not your vehicle but might be interesting to read.

How's the kickdown cable? Runs from transmission to the throttle body. If it broke there can be problems with shifting. Usually it's just dragging/slipping, not loss of a gear, but ..shrug.. worth a look.

Reply to
DougW

That is 'limp home mode'.

I would clean the TPS power connection with WD40 or better a spray contact cleaner just for the heck of it because it controls shift points and on the 4.0 anyway is known to get a bad connection.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Thanks to Doug, Bill and Jon for helpful replies. My transmission fluid
Reply to
Mike Romain

That's a good point.

I'd be checking and cleaning the transmission connection as well. Never know if it was removed and not put on quite right. (or missing a retaining screw/clip/etc)

Reply to
DougW

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 15:12:09 -0700, "L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III" Amazingly Replied without Prejudice below:

:>

God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O:>mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

:>

:>>

:>> I have a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 5.2 L engine and 44 RE :>> transmission. :>>

:>> It will not go into 1st gear. It starts out in 2nd gear. It will :>not :>> shift down to 1st gear. :>>

:>> I also get an error code 37, which is listed as :>>

:>> "torque :>> converter solenoid circuit fault").. :>>

:>>

:>> Have I lost my transmission, or is there a bad solenoid that may cure the :>> problem ?? :>>

:>>

:>> thanks for any tips and advice !! :>>

:>>

:>> James :>>

:>>

:>>

:>>

:>>

:>>

:>>

:>>

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III replied in message snipped-for-privacy@cox.net:

Like, you know you've ever sucked a sweater dick than mine? God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
24Bit

Reply to
philthy

Sure can.

Can 'you' say try free fix first?

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > can you say valve body??
Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
philthy