2001 Gr. Cherokee Laredo

Another question on my Jeep Gr. Cherokee. Its got the 6cyl engine and ever since its warmed up here in MT, it is having difficulties starting. Basically if its under 45 degrees in the morning I turn the key it starts right up no problem. On warmer mornings now which will keep getting that way or even when just running errands in the middle of the day the jeep takes a few cycles of the ignition before it starts. I had asked someone about it and they told me to try turning the key to the on position (But not where it turns over) and then back off and on basically 3 times and then on the 4th one try to start it. Well that works like a charm, and he was saying it resets something.

Didn't give me any other insight to it and he's on vacation for a few weeks now anyway. Was wondering if anyone else might have an idea as to what might be happening. It runs great just when you try and start it when its warm outside, kind of the opposite of most people but to me it would seem there is some sort of temp sensor or something but i have no clue.

Thanks.

Reply to
NewbieJeepGuy

there is a trick on the inline 6 bad starting problem dating back to the XJ Cherokee....gunk in the throttle body glazes over a sensor.....take off the air hose and expose the throttle body...you will see a sensor connection on the body...unplug and clean with spray of throttle body cleaner safe for contacts....most any will do...next look in the body where the sensor plugs in and you will see a small section where the sensor gets info...clean real good with a tooth brush and the thottle cleaner.....clean all around and rescrew the air hose back on and your done..this one sensor can get so gunked up it will keep the jeep from starting.....good luck..

Reply to
Mindy

So that sensor would cause the start up issues? Or issues while it was running? Right now once its started it runs great no problems its just the starting part when warm. Also would you have a diagram of where the throttle body would be? I'm kind of new to this mechanic stuff and haven't even tried to look under the hood of this one yet. The sensor your talking about is it the throttle position sensor?

Thanks.

Reply to
NewbieJeepGuy

There is a possiblity that your ECT sensor is flakey. (Engine Coolant Tempature) and causing the mixure to be a bit rich on warmers starts causing delayed starts. This can effect many brands of vehicles.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

The throttle position sensors on the throttle body are notorious for getting a bad electrical connection, but that doesn't 'reset' with the key priming the fuel line like you are doing with the 3 times on.

It sure can't hurt to just unplug the two plugs on the throttle body and give them a spray clean with a contact cleaner or WD40 even. If it changes, you have it.

You are basically describing fuel leaking down from the fuel line by doing what you post though.

There are two valves that can leak, one is in the tank on the pump and the other is on the fuel rail. There are test procedures for this but you would have to be kinda familiar with engines....

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Another question on my Jeep Gr. Cherokee. Its got the 6cyl engine and
Reply to
Mike Romain

When you talk about two valves leaking, are you talking about fuel leaking out? Or just an air leak to lose pressure of some sort?

Thanks.

Reply to
NewbieJeepGuy

no, it is not the throttle position sensor, that is some where else....this sensor is on the throttle body itself....follow the hose from the air cleaner back to the throttle....that is where you need to look and clean....it has to do with "starting" this sensor, not the actual running as I have seen....my XJ was dead in the water, this newsgroup advised me to clean this and never had a problem again...actually we clean all our vehicles and found the same gunk clogs even my 2001 Grand Cherokee's inline

6...

Reply to
Mindy

The valves are 'fuel' valves that are supposed to hold the pressure in the gas line when the engine is shut off.

By priming the line with using the key on to run but not start method, the fuel is once again immediately available to be burned.

There are tests for this like mentioned, but it involves special equipment and know how.

Mike

Mike Romain

Umm... The 'TPS or 'throttle position sensor' is located on.... the 'throttle body'.

There is also an idle air control module located on the throttle body.

The IAC gets gummed up and won't let it idle. The TPS gets a bad connection and won't let it start fast or idle right too.

Anyhow, ours always starts faster after I have cleaned the electrical connection on both the TPS and IAC. I haven't needed to clean out my IAC yet.

Priming mine doesn't help though.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > no, it is not the throttle position sensor, that is some where else....this
Reply to
Mike Romain