Jeep Gr. Cherokee trans problem

I have a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited w/ 55,000 miles, up country suspension.

This vehicle is NOT driven daily, perhaps once every two weeks.

I had the transmission flushed and refilled at about 52,000

Last night while cruising on the highway at about 60 mph, the transmission "shifted" once very hard, so much that my passenger noted and asked what was wrong with the vehicle.

This has happened maybe 3 times previously within the past two months, at highwasy speed and at low speed around the city.

Any ideas of what could be going on?

Reply to
:-)

You folks need to replace your VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) before your transmission eats itself. The VSS is what tells the computer how fast the vehicle is going... when it lies, all hell can break loose. Should have popped a code... have them checked. __ Steve .

transmission

Reply to
Steve Cowell

What does the tach do when this happens?? if it drops to zero, or close to it, your cps maybe on its way out too, Most definitely go see the stealership as soon as possible and have them check for codes..

Snow...

transmission

Reply to
Snow

Or...

Did you bring it to a Jiffy Lube or quick oil change place and they talked you into changing the transmission fluid because it's time to do so?

They change the transmission fluid when it's hot (you just drove there, and they do changes quick), which means the transmission metal workings are hot. When the fluid is hot it flows out quicker also. Then they pour some cold new fluid in there on the hot metal. The metal doesn't like the quick temp change and contracts quickly and unevenly. Then it nevers shifts right ever again. I had it happen to 2 Firebirds, so I made sure they didn't talk me into it on the Jeep. Yes it takes longer to do when the tranny is cold... but I hate the way my Firebirds sound when shifted now.

Just say no to upselling!

Reply to
Mark12211

Just say no to Jiffy Screw^WLube. They put on my dads oil drain bolt so damn tight it bent my breaker bar and took an airchistle to get it out.

They also let a cowerker drive off without any oil at all. Took a lawyer to get them to replace the engine. They claimed that "it wasn't seized that badly"

Reply to
DougW

I think that says it all...

Reply to
TJim

My experience is that it is easier on a Jeep than most other vehicles... the sensor is on the transfer case on my XJ, you can replace it with common hand tools just by crawling under. Try replacing it on a Taurus... POS has to have the Y-pipe dropped, among other things.

With an intermittent failure such as this, it's often more expedient to just start replacing stuff, the easy/cheap stuff first. You may find it full of fluid, a sure sign of failure.

Exactly... you would notice things like cruise control dropping out, or electronic speedo falling to zero. It should pop a code for wrong speed in gear.

Probably around $150... not sure. Like I said, it's very easy to replace on an XJ, I'm not sure where it's located on yours.

I don't think they're related... VSS failure is a common thing, my sister just had one go out on her Honda ('92 Civic DX) last month. Luckily, she was near the bosom of the family; I was able to call and have the part shipped, then talk my brother through putting it in. Part was $120, but that's Honda.

Get yourself some kind of manual... Haynes is cheap, and not so bad, factory manual is better. __ Steve .

Reply to
Steve Cowell

Reply to
Al J

The speed sensor is just a simple switch. Take it out and put an ommeter across the leads. Spin the sensor and you can see the circuit make and break.

The first thing to do is always check your connections. Remember what happens to circuits when a ground floats? :)

Reply to
DougW