Are the new TJ's (05).....

gonna have a six speed? I'm talking about the regular short wheel base ones. If so, will sixth gear help get better MPG on the highway? Or will the extra gear be for the real slow stuff?

Reply to
Jeff

Nearly the same final drive ratio as with the 5-speed, with a lower first gear ratio to help in the "slow stuff". Gear ratios are spaced a little closer together. Mileage should not be significantly affected one way or the other.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Yes, Wranglers will get the 6-speed this year.

Reply to
Mark12211

When do they come out with the independant front suspension?

Reply to
Hey There

Bill H will tell you 2005 but that ain't true. I'm guessing 2007.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

A very GOOD source at DC says there's a better than 50/50 chance the TJs replacement will be IFS. Launch is to be '06 (as an '07 model), which means the decision must have already been made. It's really hard to believe how time has passed, but the TJ has been around since '96, which means it's already been in production as long as the YJ. Lots has happened in the world of regulation and emissions over that time, plus, the very UN-Jeeplike Daimerl has taken control of Jeep and simply wants to increase sales. They're not too interested in "Jeep Heritage" as we've seen with the KJ and the soon-to-be-released Grand Cherokee.

One argument being put forth by the pro-IFS crowd within DC (these are bean-counter types, according to my source) is better crash performance, lighter weight and reduced cost. They want to leverage the basic suspension off the Liberty platform to save costs, which is a bit like what AMC did with the YJ, using the XJs axles, t-case, etc.

The Rubicon shows they do in fact know Jeep BS from Shinola at DC, so let's pray that sensible heads prevail. Having worked for three manufacturers over the years, never beet on common sense when Corporate bean-counters get involved, which these days is ALWAYS.

Reply to
Jerry McG

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Yep, but it ain't the 2004 or even the 2005.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Didn't he also say that was the 2003 at the time? ;)

Brian

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III