I'm gonna go Postal....!

Hey group, I recently acquired a 1981 DJ5L Postal Jeep (stop laughing!!) and the wiring under the dash looks like hell. The number of splices and wire taps under the dash is scary! Not surprisingly, I have electrical issues. Try this on... Key off, turn on the heater blower motor switch and the turn signal flasher starts clicking... the lights are not blinking but the flasher clicks away. I might also add that the blower will not start running till you turn the key on. I dunno.... So what I'm looking for is not "What's wrong with my Jeep?" but does anyone have a schematic for a DJ series Jeep? I think mid to late 70's up to mid to late 80's should get me by. I really appreciate any help you guys could give me on this one. Thanks, Charles

Reply to
Ervin Charles

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Thanks Bill! I should have known you would have what I needed. This will give me a good place to start! Thanks again, Charles

Reply to
Ervin Charles

The inexpensive Haynes manual has an excellent wiring diagram for the CJ's. I have used it to wire several and a couple YJ's. (The CJ manual has better 258 wiring than the YJ book)

You also can get replacement harness pieces from a couple different companies if it is beyond hope or melted out.

if it isn't melted, I would start by replacing the ground strap from the rear of the engine head to the firewall. A dead one can/will cause symptoms like yours. There also is a ground from the block to the frame that bypasses one of the engine mounts.

Mike

Mike Romain

If your pockets are deep enough just replace the harness, otherwise you're going to be chasing wiring faults and replacing cable until the cows come home. There's a couple of manufacturers out there that make universal fit harnesses for Jeeps with factory-like connectors, including the bulkhead connector at the firewall. I used the Painless flavor on my `79 CJ-5 rebuild and it was, um, /mostly/ painless -- at least everything other than the charging and starting circuits was painless.

And, hey, I didn't laugh that you got a DJ. If I had the space I'd get one too, I like `em. Right now I'm wondering if I should try and talk the guy 20 miles away out of his FC-170 DRW that's been sitting for 15 years (that I know of). My garage is full, the driveway's short and my couch isn't very comfortable to sleep on, if you get my drift.

Erv> Hey group,

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

You've got it all backwards ...

  1. Move wife's vehicles ...that's what the street is for.
  2. Go buy large amounts of huge rock chunks and crushed limestone from wrecked buildings to create new and bigger driveway that wife's car cannot get over but your Jeep's can.
  3. Buy comfortable cot and sleep in Jeep with tent rig hooked up to back.
  4. Install small woodburning stove, TV, and bar fridge in garage with port-a-potty outside. Tell wife she keeps house clean cuz she's the only one living there. You keep garage clean.
  5. Only go inside house for sex and clean clothes.
  6. And so you both live happily-ever-after.

Reply to
griffin

I once wired my electric blanklet to my toaster so I would get popped outta bed in the morning. But I swear I had nothing to do with the wiring in your jeep! Capt. Purple

Reply to
Capt. Purple