changing gear raito with oversize tires

hey everyone, would the gears in the front and rear diff in a 93 xj with

31x10.50 tires need to be changed so the transmission and/or engine won't have any problems climbing hills and taking on trails? also is it ok on the highway?
Reply to
jeepney driver via CarKB.com

I just forget I have a 5th gear or overdrive as it is properly called and have no issues at all with the larger tires.

I run 3.31's turning 33" muds. 4th at 65 mph gives me 2300 rpm which is right in the 'sweet spot' for my engine.

If I try to use 5th, the engine lugs and drinks gas. It still has pull, but...

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Do you have the automatic or manual transmission?

Carl

Reply to
Carl
31" tires work really good with 4.10 gears, they work okay -- usually -- with stock gears.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Yes, the gears will need to be changed. No, it will not be OK on the highway. You may be able to pretend to yourself that it is.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

carl i have an automatic

Reply to
jeepney driver via CarKB.com

You have 3.55 gears, which will work OK with 31" tires. Your Jeep wont be as fast as it was on stock tires, but you will be just fine.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

With 3.55 gears and an auto, he'll be fine, had that exact same setup on my old XJ.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo