Determining health of transfer case, pinion, transmission

Since I've had this jeep I've had like a "shimy" or sometimes even a violent vibration when letting out the clutch in either first or reverse. It's actually the worse in Reverse. I can sometimes rev the engine higher and get through it easier but it still happens to some extent. I've had a new clutch put in and corrected the linkage but still have this vibration.

How can I diagnois the cause of this shaking?

I guess one thing I could do is remove the rear drive shaft and see how it responds using the front drive shaft.

Thanks for any ideas.

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

FrankW

my old YJ had the same problem, as well as another manual tranny-equipped car I had. Both cases, it turned out that the flywheel needed resurfacing, which should have been done during a clutch replacement job, but was not.

Reply to
Chuck Bremer

That is a symptom of a broken motor mount. Having said that, I thought you have recently installed new mounts. There is a third mount, in addition to the two motor mounts, that supports the trans., it is located under the trans and is bolted to the skid plate. This one is often over looked, and can cause the symptoms you report.

Reply to
CRWLR

I recently installed a new tranny mount and the motor mounts were fine on the engine install.

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

This sounds like classic clutch "chatter", which is caused either oil on the clutch plate, uneven surfaces on the flywheel, disk or pressure plate, or misalignment of the engine & transmission.

Reply to
Jerry McG

My CJ7 will do that if I ride the clutch any at all. It can happen in stop and go uphill traffic, I have 20 miles of it from downtown. It is a pain, but I got used to just letting it out faster and walking it.

I have had a different clutch, pressure plate and the same flywheel in two engine setups. The clutch itself is spring loaded and just the right flywheel grip can bounce them it seems.

The flywheel likely needed turning. It seems to be getting better with time too.

Got to check the clutch surface after one year of hard off road and mud use and the painted label was still visible on both sides despite the occasional judder, so no worries here. :-)

Mike

William Oliveri wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I talked to the engine rebuilder who I told you races jeeps and is into jeeps. Anyway, he said he has just had to live with it on two different jeeps. He said he took his to a guy who got it all the shutters out (flywheel or clutch voodoo or something) but then later it just came back.

I talked to the R&R guy and he said the flywheel was in perfect condition when he installed it. He wasn't shy about telling me I needed something when it was warn out (like the ring gear on the flywheel for example).

So, at this point I'll investigate further from different sources and see what develops.

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

I just figure it is a result of my 3.31 gears and 33" tires.

Mike

William Oliveri wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I knew you were gonna say that. ;-)

Your symptom is screaming motor mounts, but I thought they were new with the recent rebuild. If they are not new with the rebuild, they deserve a closer look. I can't think of anything else, except oil on the clutch. But, for some reason I don't think your trouble is there ...

Reply to
CRWLR