fog lights

I want to get a set of fog lights for my son's wrangler ('97) for christmas....any suggestions? What 'wattage' is street legal?

thanks!

cal

Reply to
Cal

You'll usually find it depends on your state.

Here in Western Australia - there's no restriction to the wattage, however the same rules apply to the fog lights that apply to your hi-beams.

Reply to
Jason Backshall

Thanks for the reply. I live in north carolina

cal

Reply to
Cal
55w is what comes factory i believe on 97, i bet that covers alot of states.

Reply to
Steve G

thanks! I am actually looking at a set of the hella black magic lamps, and they are 55 watts.

cal

Reply to
Cal

Umm, I have those. They are great 'driving' lights. They are a 'far' cry from fog lights and unless I aim them straight at the ground literally hitting the road 6' in front they are totally useless in fog or snow.

No, Hella Black Magic's are worse than useless in fog, they are blinding.

I have been tempted several times to put my stock Laredo 'fog' lights back on front, but don't have to drive that often in it. If I lived on the east coast, I would certainly put the fogs back on with yellow lenses in them.

For either type of light, 55W is max up here in Canada.

You should check what kind of light he needs. They do need to be wired differently.

Driving lights should be wired so they only come on with the high beams. Fog lights should be wired so they come on with the low beams.

Mike

Mike Romain

You 'really' should check out your rules a bit more carefully.

Fog lights and highbeams together are totally useless!

Fog lights should only come on with low beams.

Driving lights are a different matter and a totally different type of light. Driving lights come on with the highbeams...

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Aug./05
Mike Romain

Where are ya in NC Cal?

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

55 watts should be great. I had a pencil beam and a broad beam set of Super Oscars on my last CJ. That combo was excellent. Broad (high) beams tend to light up the moisture in the air, making you see all of it as a wall in front of you. A low mounted cutting beam is nice to get reflection close off the road if your travel condtions are rain and snow. I'm considering mounting a bar under the windshield with a row of 6 low profile 55 watters, switched to operate separately. That'll look jet set :)
Reply to
TwoTracker

Real jet set until you turn them on. When I bought my CJ it had a real cool(not) light bar on the top of the windshield frame with 4 KC offroad lights. The first time I went night wheeling, I turned them on and was instantly blinded when the lights reflected off the hood. I'd never mount any aux light aft of the front bumper unless it was on the back bumper for backing purposes.

Reply to
Rich

In spite of my recommendation to do a bumper mount, my customer had me install a set of KCs on the windshield brackets today. At least all the bolts came out ok. I'll bet I get paid again to move them in a short time.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

allright allright...yooz guys are prolly right. The standard bumper mount is a happy medium. I just saw the set up in a mag and it "looked" kewl. Come to think of it, I never have had overhead lights on any of my 4's.

(But the 62 louvers in my hood "could" allow them to be used as a trouble light ;)

Reply to
TwoTracker