From the "Not for everybody department"

Stumbled across this diff cover today...

idea, not too practical for off-road though. The company is alsodeveloping matching valve covers.-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

L.W.(ßill)

What's that about, Bill? Some kind of spyware?

Reply to
Paul Calman

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

My Netscape screamed at me Bill!

Both the short and long link want to set tracking cookies. The same ones.

They are HumanClickID=xxxxxx and HumanClickActive=xxx and HumanClickKey=xxx....

They come from the page source, not the short link system.

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Ok, I wouldn't have noticed that, but I run Adaware weekly.

So the cover requires synthetic oil? weird. I suppose poly would be about as good as a steel cover if it's thick enough, but harder to solder holes closed over a campfire.

Reply to
Paul Calman

In news:5yQnc.6815$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com, Cherokee-LTD from was injured because:

| Stumbled across this diff cover today... |

| Neat idea, not too practical for off-road though. Thecompany | is also developing matching valve covers. | -Brian

Actually, you would be suprised how strong that is...remember awhile back, one of the 4x4 mags did a write up on diff covers...took a 5 pound sledge hammer to each one to "test" the mettle of the covers. The acrylic/polycarbonate one is the only one that about killed the testers. It sent the sledge hammer flying right back at the guys whacking away...

Reply to
Joseph P

I'd be a lot more interested in a test where it is slammed into a rock at 5 MPH with the weight of a vehicle behind it. I don't see many sledge hammers on the trail

Reply to
Paul Calman

I seem to remember them shooting it, also..

Reply to
Carlo

I was questioning it's practicality off-road for a few reasons. ...sandblasted effect. ...carved up from rocks. ...carrying a bottle of Windex around for every time you want to 'inspect your gears'. ...and worst of all... waiting in water up to your mirrors while the guy in front of you checks for water in the housing AFTER EVERY PUDDLE CROSSING!

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

In news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de, Paul Calman from was injured because:

| I'd be a lot more interested in a test where it is slammed | into a rock at 5 MPH with the weight of a vehicle behind it. I | don't see many sledge hammers on the trail

As if that won't harm a standard diff cover...

Reply to
Joseph P

In news:o_%nc.10263$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com, Cherokee-LTD from was injured because:

I am guessing they are really intended for "show" trucks and people that buy on impulse...

Reply to
Joseph P

Sure it will, A steel cover will flatten against the ring gear, then a smal hole gets worn through it. You can bang a steel cover back unto shape, and epoxy/solder/weld the holes. My rig came with finned aluminum covers. They are on the garage wall, untill I find someone who wants them for street use.

Reply to
Paul Calman

My nomination for understatement of the year. :-)

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

True - polycarbonate is tremendously strong, and 1/4" think has the bullet resistance of about 12 feet of glass. However, it scratches as soon as you look at it

Reply to
Dave Milne