Front Rotor Concern, 02 WJ

Hi All, I went down under to do my first oil change on my '02 Grand Cherokee and to get acquainted with the underside. I noticed the inboard side of both front brake rotors appear as if the disc pad is not contacting them completely. There is some shine/wear around the outside, oh, 3/4 inch or so and it diminishes to about no wear toward the hub. I sense no braking problem in the car at all. The outboard side of both rotors is shiny/worn equally as you'd expect. I thought I'd ask the group what your opinion of the malady is. I will of course be pulling the calipers in a couple days to lube the pins and such, but it seems odd that both sides would develop a problem at the same time. Do I have a couple bum calipers all at once? The car has 40K miles on it now. Was about 37,500 when I got her. As an observation, they, DC, sure placed that oil filter in a bad spot. The filter on my 93, 4.0 liter was on the passenger side and easily changed from above. This one is underneath and is sure easy to get a faceful of hot oil if you're not careful. Thanks, D

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Hi Bill, No, no the actual brake rotor/disc itself is what I'm talking about. It shows little or no wear. Mine is not evenly shiny where the pad contacts it as the one is in the picture you sent. Thanks. Denny

completely.

Sure sounds like the caliper is sticking. It may have caused the other side to overheat, glaze and/or perhaps warped the rotor.

Do you know if you have the Teves (early '02 black) or Akebono (late '02 Silver) calipers?

Do you get pulsations or shaking during braking?

Any pulling to one side or the other?

Noisy?

You will have to pull the wheel to get a look at it, preferably pull the caliper too to get a good look

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

To get that wear pattern, there must be some combination of warped rotor (dished in), bad or misseated pad, or caliper piston cocked over. I'd tear it down, see what the inboard pads look like. At 40 k miles, youshould have something like 1/2 wear on the pads, should be very noticeable.

Reply to
RoyJ

You can't predict wear according to mileage, unless you know driving style and where driven. It could be that the calipers are mounted on a slight slant, to prevent squealing and grabbing, and that the pads just haven't worn in that far yet. I would take it to a Jeep dealer and ask them if they have seen it before. Of course, if the performance is good I would resist buying new calipers, new rotors, new spindles, etc. unless they showed me some kind of TSB or service manager's bulletin from the manufacturer. Maybe there is a shim that can be installed.

For the faceful of hot oil buy some metal ramps or build a set out of stacked two-by-sixes like I have. If you are older like Bill maybe two-by-tens would be easier to see.

Earle

completely.

Reply to
Earle Horton

It's really common up here in the rust belt Bill. The sliders and pins get corroded and sticky easy. The ends of the pads even wear notches in the slider jamming them up big time. Then the slider face has to be rebuilt or replaced. They need a good lube job, better than the factory does, that's for sure.

Mike

Mike Romain

Since you mention that Mike, it brings to mind something else I noticed on this WJ. I wash it in the driveway and notice that in 30 minutes the brake rotors have patches of rust on the face. It disappears as soon as I drive any distance, but if the setup is prove to corrosion, then that might be the problem. I just went out to look and the calipers are the black ones. Looks like I might have a $300+ afternoon in the driveway coming up in the near future. Dangit. Thanks for all of you guyz input. Denny

That is flash rust, it means nothing...

(every vehicle gets it)

Reply to
billy ray

Is there not some kind of replacement warranty for that type of caliper if they give grief as yours are obviously doing?

I wouldn't worry about the surface rust, but be aware that anything not lubed up right will rot that fast....

Mike

D wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

You might want to be aware out the following class action lawsuit and settlement:

Page down to the secti> Since you mention that Mike, it brings to mind something else I noticed on

Reply to
Al J

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

If the pad notches the slider, it hangs up enough to cause this.

Mike

"L.W.(Bill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

It is strange Bill, but normally when I see a caliper screwed up, the inside of the rotor is the one with the bad or lesser wear pattern for some reason. The outside is usually smooth. There are likely some physics behind that with the levering action of stuck parts or something.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: N>
Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III