Leak in floor of 1997 JGC / How to Find ?

I have a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I have a leak somewhere in the rear, right hand side of the floorboard, either underneath the right seat itself, OR in the floor in front of the rear seat. In other words, it is either leaking underneath the seat itself and migrating to the floor in front of the seat, or vice versa.

The problem of course is that I can't find the entry point of the water. At night, I have used a helper, and taken a bright spotlight and move it around **underneath** the car, looking for traces of light inside the car in the floorboard area. I have also tried the reverse , shining the light (at night) inside the car, and with a helper, looking for a trace of light underneath the car.

Can any of you give me any hints on how I can find this leak ? This is a BAD leak, sometimes accumulating up to two inches or more of water underneath my right-rear seat !!

Other than a Jeep dealer, what type of shop would you take this car to in order to trace the leak, and repair it ?

Are there common points in this Jeep that develop a leak that I could look for ?

Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks !!

James

Reply to
James

sunroof? door window or inside plastic door panel? door seals? roof rack?

no car washes in your area? water hose spraying water around doors and windows, or use a power washer.

light may not leak in but water will find a way.

You can also pressurize your jeep with air from a leaf blower stuck in one of your windows taped up around the blower nozzle and feel for air leaks. Only VW Air Cooled Beetles were air tight AFAIK. So expect some air leaks. ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1