putting cherokee axles into a wrangler

I have a 1987 wrangler which needs shorter gears. For the mountains in haiti. I don't really know what are in there now but they are american hiway gears. Could be as hi as 3.07 I guess.

I want to put 4.11 gear set in. It has the big six, btw, with a weber carb.

Reading the catalogs it appears that you cannot put 4.11 into a case which came with 3.27 or whatever. They say 'case change' at 3.54.

Now I really need to pull the case cover and count teeth, but I asked my mechanic here in port au prince to look for 4.11 axles for me. All the four bangers came with 4.11 and a lot of them have expired. A lot of 4 banger cherokees were brought over and abused until they sit and rot. What he says at least.

So, how difficult is it to put axles from a cherokee into a YJ? They should be the same except for spring mounts, yes?

Reply to
bouki

It's a *carrier* change, isn't it ??

Dave Milne, Scotland

Reply to
Dave Milne

Probably, but you have some major fabricating to do...rear spring mounts have to be flipped below the axle, and the front have to be fabbed completely since the front axle on an XJ cherokee uses coil springs and control arms. My advice, just get the carriers replaced.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo