Jeep Cherokee Rear Axles, etc.

I've had two Cherokees, a 1991, and now a 2000. I thought I had learned a bit about these vehicles over the past 8+ years, but apparently not enough. Here are some questions: (1) I stumbled across a Wikipedia page devoted to the XJ; among other information, it says that the standard rear axle for the 1987 - 1990 Cherokee was the Dana 44. Is this true? Did all Cherokees of this period have the Dana 44, or was it optional? This is in reference to the XJ Cherokee, not the FSJ. (2) My 2000 (bought used) has got a bunch of options on it, which I think are the factory "Up Country" or "Off Highway" package - metal skid plates front, rear, and under the T-case, limited slip rear axle, stiffened (very!) suspension, and a couple of other things. Is it possible to put 31" tires on this vehicle without adding a lift kit? (3) Do all 2000 Cherokees have the Chrysler 8.25 rear axle, or did LSD- equipped ones use a different axle? The rear skid plate (or gas tank protector, if you like) is so close to the differential housing that it's hard to see any details of its shape.

Thanks in advance!

John Thompson

Reply to
jthmpson

My 86 CJ7 has a D44 rear stock, but my 87 and 88 XJ's do not.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > I've had two Cherokees, a 1991, and now a 2000. I thought I had
Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
RoyJ

D35 was standard D44 was a tow package option. After 1990, D44 was special order option, and 8.25 was a tow package option, though you could still get the D35 with tow package.

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

They stand behind their parts because if they stood in front of them, they'd be crushed.

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Remind me not to tow stuff with my four cylinder Wrangler. That's a pretty big looking trailer for a Cherokee. In the States we like Tahoes for this sort of thing. Still, if you're going to use cheap-ass components, the least you could do is to stand behind them.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton