Squeal/Sceetch in the passenger side engine compartment in my 99 TJ (Wrangler)

HELP!!!!

My 99 Jeep TJ has developed a squeal/screetch emanating from the passenger side of the motor upon startup AND sometimes when the A/C is running. I'll try to describe this as best as possible...

Upon startup, when the car has been sitting for a while (At least 45 minutes after last operated), the car will make a squeal when starting the car. After about 5-10 seconds, the sqeual goes away. IF I start the car under load, ie,. with the AC running, it will not stop squealing until the AC is switched off. I'm in Miami, so it is always warm. Cold weather does not happen here.

Once the car has been running for a few minutes (and I am actually driving), I can turn on the AC and the sound will not be present. The car MUST be moving. Idling for 5 minutes won't prevent the squeal. This is part of my daily workaround.

When driving, if I turn on the AC and the squeal is present, I simply turn it off, wait a few seconds, and then turn it back on. Eventually the AC will run and the sqeal will not be present.

Once the AC is working without the squeal, all is good until the next time I let the car sit for a while without running it.

This has been going on the for the past few months....

Here's what I have replaced:

Serpentine Belt Both non-accessory pulley's A/C compressor clutch

Suggested possibilities: AC compressor bearing, alternator, waterpump.

My next step is to replace one of the three above. When I have examined the motor while the noise is present, it seems to be coming from the AC compressor or the alternator. The AC works fine when it comes to cooling. I also do not have a power problem with the alternator.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can check next or maybe to determine whether this is one of the three suggested possibilities? The waterpump is cheap, but the other two are not. I'd rather nail this problem with the next weekend under the hood.

Please help!!

Also, please respond via the newsgroup so others can share in the knowlege transfer.

Reply to
sobe

Is there glazing on the inside of your S-belt?

Eric

Reply to
Eric Shade

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Eric, There is no glazing on the belt. In my initial stages of research on this problem, I installed a new belt. The sound was still there after the new belt was installed. It did change with the amount of tension that was put on it, but it never went away. In addition to changing the belt, I also adjusted the tension so that it would produce the shortest amount of squeal as possible. Infortunately, I cannot completely rid my car of the noise. :-(

Reply to
sobe

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
Will Honea

Bill is right. Get a $15 tension gauge from NAPA and tighten the belt. It actually has to be tightened more than seems obvious by the usual pushing on the belt test. Regards,

Guri Sandhu

Reply to
G.Sandhu