Steering Damper Replacement

Is it pretty much bolt-off then bolt-on? Im looking on there and I pretty much just see some bolts/pins. Anything else I should know before diving in?

Thanks

Reply to
pavewaythree

AWESOME! Thanks for the input.

I went outside to give it a shot and kinda hit a wall. I got the nut and bolt off of the side next to the coil spring (mounted on the frame) but I am having trouble getting the other side off (attached to the drag bar I think they call it?). I took some pics with my camera phone so you can see what I mean. I tried Hitting the hell out of it with a hammer but it just will not budge. I tried loosening that middle part with a wrench and it goes nowhere. Is it threaded up in there? Hope not... Anyways, please refer to the link I posted. It might give you an idea of where I'm at a standstill.

Thanks!

Reply to
pavewaythree

When I replaced mine I had the same issue of it not coming loose after a couple good smacks with a hammer. Ended up going to an auto parts store (I think it was Kragen) and renting a pitman arm puller, it was only a few bucks to rent. They actually charge you for the puller, as if you were buying it, then you return it and they give you back your money less the rental fee. Anyway, after a couple turns on the puller it popped right off and rest was easy and pretty straight forward. Hope this helps.

Reply to
Ed Smith

Tapered bolt:

God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@billhughes.com

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Seconded. Use the correct tool otherwise it's a pain in the butt.

A day before removing that, spray the bolt with some PB Blaster and it will come out a lot easier. Once the pitman arm puller is tight just give it a light tap with the trusty sledge hammer.

Pic of the puller is here.

I was replacing a ball joint, the pin is the same.

Reply to
DougW

Haha! Don't do what that guy did. Atleast leave the nut threaded on but not snug that way when it breaks loose it won't slam your face or other components under there.

Reply to
ULB

Reply to
RiverRunner66 via CarKB.com

I remove it by heating a bit the steering rod around the bolt a little, and then I use a big wrench in the middle hex portion on the nut. With a few hits with the hummer on the wrench, and the bolt will brake loose. This bolt is a conical fit in the arm, and it is supposed to bind in there.

-- Bill Spiliotopoulos, '96 XJ, '06 TJ.

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos