suggestions for what to do with sagging leaf springs?

Does anyone know the stock heigth of an 88 YJ say from the bottom of the front shackle, or some other reference point? I think my springs are sagging... all four leaf springs look a little... well inverted. I'm looking at "add a leaf" lifts to maybe correct the problem and give it a minor lift. Question is are these kits any good? Will a minor (2" or less) suspension lift necessitate any other changes to steering or drive line?

Reply to
Simon Juncal

I took these measurements back in '95 from a brand new, stock YJ so I could have a reference for lifts, etc.

Ground to the bottom of the front bumper at the frame mounts = 18 1/8"

Ground to the bottom of the rear frame cross member by the hole for the factory tow bar = 17 1/8"

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

Okay so what are some good lifts that include full leafs?

Reply to
Simon Juncal

Thanks Gerald, that will help a lot (if the 88 and 95 are roughly the same height), at least I can gauge how much higher this thing should be sitting with leafs that aren't inverted.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

Years ago I went the Add-A-Leaf route to correct my sagging CJ-5 springs. It worked for a little while, but eventually the sag reappeared as a wicked curve on the main leaves, just beyond the second leaf. Lesson learned: Spending a little money and a lot of time to "correct" a problem rather than fixing it just means that you eventually have to spend as much money and more time to fix it properly. Replace the spring packs.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

To back up Lee's comments, I have an add a leaf that is sagging in my XJ. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego