Re: Bizarre Power Steering Problem?

Hi All,

> > I'm hoping somebody out there can help me with this problem. I have a '97 > Jeep Grand Cherokee, that for the most part runs very well. It has this > steering problem though--if I turn the wheel to make even a > marginally tight turn, it gets really hard to get the Jeep to move > forward or backward. The engine revs just fine, and isn't close to dying > or anything, but the car just doesn't want to move. If I try to make a > *really* tight turn, it kind of lurches forward like something is > grabbing and then giving way or something. It doesn't happen all the time > though, and I can't find any particular common cause for when it happens. > But, it does happen most of the time.

Check your front driveshaft U joints. By the way, U joints will do just that, lurch and grab, especially in tight turns. CV joints don't but the problem with CV joints is they are weaker than U joints. Depends on which devil you go to bed with. :/

Reply to
DougW

You could be describing a bad U-joint.

Mike