update: 93 JGC V8

well on the 5th my grandfather died and left me his jeep... and i have already asked a few questions... anyways... i want to restore and upgrade it, by some peoples definitions it might be a piece of crap, the tranny pan leaks, the a/c doesnt work she needs new brakes/rotors/calipers new drums and shoes, the paint is blistered and the damn headlights are barely seen at night.

my plan is to repaint it... same color, add a mild lift , add some BFG's to it, add a winch bumper and a winch to it as well as give a full tune up.. plugs wires cap and rotor. and an air intake as well as new carpet inside, a cd player and DVD players for the rear seats and front passenger.

i have quite a bit of knowledge on motors.. this being my first v8. assuming i did everything but the lift and paint does $5-6000 sound like a good budget?

can anyone recomend a set up nerf bars for the JGC?

also a buddy of mine has a landcruiser awd... is there a mod like on the TLC where you can rig a switch and lock the center diff without going to 4low?

the last few days of my grandfathers life all he talked about to me was his jeep and i told him when he got out of the hospitol i would fix it up for him... as you can tell he never got out... so im doing a tribute to him.

Reply to
Pop-N-Fresh

The transfer case question depends on what kind of transfer case is in the vehicle. The answer is probably "no". If you are going to spend that kind of money though, an upgrade to SelecTrac, which has a center diff locking mode, is certainly possible.

My advice is to fix all the broken stuff, before even thinking of upgrades. Do all the research you can, before you buy that lift kit. The repairs can cost more than you think, and you don't want to run out of money before you get around to something essential, like fixing the AC. See some of the threads about replacing the evaporator in this news group.

Good luck.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
Pop-N-Fresh

The first thing to do is get yourself a Factory Service Manual.

Reply to
billy ray

Good for you! My son recently had a choice between getting his own vehicle or getting my 88 Cherokee Chief, and his answer was, "Are you kidding me?" He now has the Cherokee and is learning to keep it up, and I found an 88 YJ to replace it. Not many young people these days cherish anything "old", including their grandparents. Take the repairs first, then decide about any kind of upgrades, then about any kind of mods. Most of all just enjoy something your grand dad gave you!

Reply to
LoneGreyWolf