XJ Wiper problems

I've got a '99 XJ Sport that's recently developed an annoying problem. After an exhaustive Google groups search, I've been reduced to asking here...

So, my wipers when off rest parallel to the bottom of the windshield. When their on, the drivers side goes too far and slaps the rubber strip with an annoying sound.

Is there an adjustment that I can make to limit the travel? It seems to be just the one, the passenger side wiper goes to nearly vertical, can't really tell if it goes beyond that.

Thanks for your help,

Josh

Reply to
Josh

Remove the wiper arm and reinstall it one tooth (or the necessary amount) over on the shaft.

Reply to
billy ray

I had the same thing happen on my 93XJ, the problem was (and probably is the same for your case as well) is that the wiper transmission is actually failing. They had a trend to wear out on a ball joint type of connection. When mine failed I had the stealership replace it at about $350 for parts and $130 for labour, Since it failed withing my 90 day warrenty period (was a used J**P with higher then normal km's) it only cost me the labour. I'm not sure if the part numbers the same but I might still have a "spare" wiper transmission with motor laying around, if you check it out and find that one from a 95XJ will fit I'll sell it to you for less the a wrecker or even Ebay (plus shipping of course).

Snow...

Josh wrote:

Reply to
Snow

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 18:57:12 GMT, the following appeared in rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys, posted by "Josh" :

I have a '98 XJ, and I think the adjustment should be the same for a '99. According to the service manual, the wiper arms should be installed as follows, measured from the lower edge of the wiper arm tip (NOT the blade; the end of the arm where the blade attaches) to the upper edge of the windshield molding:

Driver side: 23-52mm (0.9-2.04").

Passenger side: 33-62mm (1.29-2.44").

If yours is the same as mine, that results in a slight "down angle" on the blade, but it shouldn't hit the molding. AFAIK there's no adjustment in the linkage for reduced travel, and the service manual doesn't mention any.

HTH.

Reply to
Bob Casanova

Thanks for the offer! I'll try the adjustment route first, I'll let you know how that goes.

jjd

Reply to
Josh

Thanks for the advice, now that I think about it, I did have my windshield replaced about 6 months ago, perhaps the two are related...

I'll give it a shot.

Thanks!

jjd

Reply to
Josh

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 20:21:59 GMT, the following appeared in rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys, posted by "Josh" :

No problem; good luck.

Reply to
Bob Casanova